What Accompanies A Concertina Well?

I would agree with others that the fiddle and concertina go well together. Unfortunately the wooden flute and the concertina almost always sound terrible to my ears. Only once or twice have I been in a session where the two worked well together and then it was because the flute player was particularly accurate on pitch. When it works it sounds great but the concertina is so unforgiving that unless the other instrument is bang on, the clash can sound awful.

Playing the English Concertina the instrument is tuned to play ok in any key, which means that instruments like the anglo that are tuned specifically for C and G can sound much better in those keys. I find the note that often makes me cringe is when I have to play a C natural. If any note is going to sound bad, that's the one that brings it out.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with others that the fiddle and concertina go well together. Unfortunately the wooden flute and the concertina almost always sound terrible to my ears. Only once or twice have I been in a session where the two worked well together and then it was because the flute player was particularly accurate on pitch. When it works it sounds great but the concertina is so unforgiving that unless the other instrument is bang on, the clash can sound awful.

Playing the English Concertina the instrument is tuned to play ok in any key, which means that instruments like the anglo that are tuned specifically for C and G can sound much better in those keys. I find the note that often makes me cringe is when I have to play a C natural. If any note is going to sound bad, that's the one that brings it out.

Yes, the Fiddle would be my first choice, followed by Uilleann Pipes.

..... but the Piano sounds very nice too.

Cheers

Dick

One of reasons I enjoy working with Jeff Davis (from Connecticut) so much - leaving aside his tremendous musicianship and valued friendship - is that he brings into the mix his antique Gibson mandocello. It's an instrument perfectly suited for 'bottoming out' the relatively high-pitched sound of my C/G anglo, and can either pick melodies or harmonies, or strum rhythm. A lovely sound.

Nancy Kerr's viola goes well with a C/G, too!

At NESI 2008 I listened all weekend, loved the music, and it seemed to me that fiddle accompanies the concertina magnificiently,

I do agree that concertina and fiddle go particularly well with each other ... but ... the fiddle has to be played exactly in tune or else you hear an awful dissonance. You don't hear this if the fiddle is being accompanied by, say, a melodeon. I suspect there is a similarity in the timbres of the two instruments that is responsible for both the beauty and the beast.

As to how I know this, well Anne has been learning the fidle the last few years and recently the incidence of dissonance has been markely decreasing, and beauty is correspondingly on the increase when we play together.

Chris

It is interesting that when there is dissonance between the fiddle and the concertina it is generally the concertina that sounds "wrong" to the ear. The ear is much more forgiving for a tone from a string than from a singe reed.

It is interesting that when there is dissonance between the fiddle and the concertina it is generally the concertina that sounds "wrong" to the ear. The ear is much more forgiving for a tone from a string than from a singe reed.

Michael,

This may have some connection withe the topic of equal temperament and meantone tuning that's going on in the "Construction and Repair" section.

Modern concertinas are fixed in equal temperament, but the intonation of the fiddle is defined only by the fingers of the fiddler, which are guided by his ear. And in the couple of keys that fiddlers play in, the sound is more "naturally" pleasant when the intervals are NOT equal.

The only fixed notes on a fiddle are the open strings, and because of the way a fiddle is tuned (A string tuned to an external source, then the adjacent strings tuned until there are no "beats" when they're bowed together) the open strings are a perfect fifth apart - and equal temperament has imperfect fifths.

The "meantone" fingering of the fiddle sounds more pleasant, so in the case of a conflict the equal-tempered concertina is perceived as "wrong".

If concertina and fiddle are played together, the fiddler can and should adapt to the equal temperament. Classical violinists have to do that when they're playing with piano accompaniments or in an orchestra with brass and woodwind.

On the other hand, it would be interedting to hear a concertina in meantone tuning playing with a fiddle. Might just be a delightful experience!

Cheers,

John

Edited by Anglo-Irishman

Hi, Priscilla.

Joining the discussion late (have been busy the last few days).

Fiddle & concertina is also one of my favorite combinations. Guitar (I also play classical) works best when the concertina is only playing the melody and not also playing chords. Accompanying an english concertina, I'd use standard tuning and chords, but accompanying an anglo in Irish traditional music, it's common stay away from chords and use DADGAD tuning.

I've had the pleasure (once) to discover that clarinet and concertina make a nice combination. You do have to watch the intonation, though.

Edited for typo.

Edited by David Barnert

On the other hand, it would be interedting to hear a concertina in meantone tuning playing with a fiddle. Might just be a delightful experience!

Cheers,

John

I know there are more than a few concertinas out there in meantone. Our David FR had a Lachenal rebuilt by Paul Groff that was lovely.

It is a trial for my fiddler colleagues to play with me and the Morse in equal temperment. It does work out though. Flautists also have to make adjustments or the milk jug will clabber up in short order as well :blink: . Having a guitar or bousouki around in DADGAD to smoothe it all over, I've found helpful.

This whole thread is silly and I'll tell you why.

Put any two good musicians together and they will make good music,

regardless of the instruments they are playing.

Put two great musicians together and they will make great music.

Good musicians always make good music together.

Would you say that a particular instrument will diminish a musician's accomplishment?

Have you heard the Irish band "At the Racket?"

Or Celtic Contraband, both with saxophone and fiddle?

Or the clip of the pipes and 5-string banjo posted recently?

There is no combination that you can say, out of hand, is bad or good.

So I'd have to agree that the best accompaniment for a concertina is a pint.

Or, better yet, a fine young thing and a pint.

regardless of the instruments they are playing.

If they are inclined to be "put" together and appreciate what the other brings to the table. Being a great musician and a horses arse are not mutually exclusive <_< .

Would you say that a particular instrument will diminish a musician's accomplishment?

No....

agreed.....

So I'd have to agree that the best accompaniment for a concertina is a pint.

A pint is mighty fine, but were I flush with coin, my perfect accompaniment would be an excellent, smokey single malt.

Edited by Mark Evans

How about bombard and lute. The bombard cannot be played softly, and the lute cannot be played loudly.

I would suggest that bombard is best played outdoors (like bagpipes, not much fun for other musicians in a confined space). Whilst lute can be played outdoors, I would regard it as an indoor instrument.

The only instrument that I would say is difficult with the concertina is a mouth organ,I have never heard an instrument apart from that which I have thought does not go with a concertina.Joel Thomas one of the finest Mouth Organ players I have heard thinks otherwise however,a possible future project

I certainly like the Hurdy Gurdy with concertina.

Al

The only instrument that I would say is difficult with the concertina is a mouth organ,I have never heard an instrument apart from that which I have thought does not go with a concertina.Joel Thomas one of the finest Mouth Organ players I have heard thinks otherwise however,a possible future project

Mouth Organ International? We can't wait!!! With concertina accompaniment, of course.

Not silly! David, if I may iterate, the original question was from a beginning musician asking for a productive direction of inquiry or study. Sure, once we are all good with our chosen instruments, your statement rings true. If what you mean is that one could choose (almost?) any instrument to begin study in a concertina-laden environment while hoping for eventual duets, I certainly agree.

Back to the box,

Ken

Hi Alan, I blundered on Joel's playing on YouTube, he was playing a tune of yours actually. Excellent player! I've no way of contacting him and would like to know what make and type of instrument he recommends for his traditional music. Any idea? It would be nice to hear him with a concertina just out of interest.

I certainly like the Hurdy Gurdy with concertina.

Al

I don't see the problem.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wEZI7HOlzNs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjux7KtvKmk