20 Or 30 Button Anglo

The reason you haven't come across it is because quality swearing is saved for really special occasions and maximum effect.

:D :D

Yea, sure.

On the other hand...

However...

On the other hand, I doubt most Americans would know quality swearing was all about. Most prefer the quick, dirty and cheap. Maybe that is why always used Norwegiann when she wanted a good swear.

Alan

Some food for thought: if you were up on a stage and your precious C# button got stuck under the fretwork, what would you do?
Just what I'd do if any button got stuck - sing unaccompanied.

What? Tell your companion to leave the stage?
:unsure:

I do hope the estimable Mr Wakker brings out a G/D version some time.

Chris

Dang...that would be a hot number...I'd buy one, fer sure, and donate my cheapies to the Goodwill store.

Wonder if there're any plans? I've just emailed him to ask him to consider it and suggested he do a market survey here if he has doubts about selling many 31-button G/D's ;) .

I'd buy a G/D Rochelle tomorrow if it were available but was told he wasn't considering it - this was back in the winter.

I got an email reply to my enquiry a few days ago, saying he had no plans for a G/D at this time as the factory can barely keep up with his demand now...he did say he'd need at least 200 sales of the G/D to make it worthwhile...I'd be willing to bet he could get that easily. And if the factory is at capacity, where are these factory seconds like mine coming from? Just need better quality control the first time around! ;)

I'd volunteer to go there and watch the assembly line to make sure they got it right! Ah well, one can dream.

Edited by paperpunchr

The reason you haven't come across it is because quality swearing is saved for really special occasions and maximum effect.

:D :D

Yea, sure.

On the other hand...

However...

On the other hand, I doubt most Americans would know quality swearing was all about. Most prefer the quick, dirty and cheap. Maybe that is why always used Norwegiann when she wanted a good swear.

Alan

These days every eight year old knows all the words that used to be able to make even a sailor blush...the decline in the quality of American profanity can be traced to the number of rank amateurs using it for no special occasions...Really first rate profanity requires an appropriate occasion, a large and interesting vocabulary and the wit to put the words together in an entertaining as well as shocking manner that is reminiscent of a whiff of smelling salts.

...Alas, it's a dying art, now that the "F", "M", "C" and all the other lettered words are regularly used as a continuous stream in "music" videos, cable TV movies and commercials, on the Floor of the US Senate, and in the elementary schools. <_<

Edited by paperpunchr

Some food for thought: if you were up on a stage and your precious C# button got stuck under the fretwork, what would you do?
Just what I'd do if any button got stuck - sing unaccompanied.

What? Tell your companion to leave the stage?
:unsure:

Zzzzing!

I thought we were discussing the choice of concertina for a relative beginner, I believe Kacy said...

"Would I (a complete novice) notice the difference if I played a Rochelle, against the cheaper (cheapest) 20 button?"

...If you're a performing pro, you buy a professional instrument...or hire a professional accompanist :lol:

...and you carry a spare 'tina in your hip pocket or purse! ;)

Edited by paperpunchr

For starters, to help me decide whether I wanted to concentrate on English or Anglo, I bought a cheapie "factory second" of each on ebay...you can get a 30 button chinese anglo, (possibly a Rochelle clone or one that failed Wim Wakker's excelllent quality control?? The fretwork pattern is the same, probably from the same factory in China)

As far as I understand it the Rochelle (and the Jackie/Jack) were designed to take advantage of the bits of the cheap Chinese Concertinas that work reasonably well, whilst redesigning the bits that don't. This is the reason for the superficial similarity between the Rochelle and the very cheap Chinese boxes.

However, a close examination of images of each type will show some of the differences - handrest positioning, button location & size, strap design & quality, number of bellows etc... An inspection of the internals shows the major differences, especially in the button action.

I've owned both a cheap Chinese box and a Rochelle, and whilst it seems I was lucky in getting a better than average Chinese one, I can honestly say that there is no comparison - the Rochelle is many times better than the Chinese one and IMHO anybody that can afford a Rochelle would be foolish to go for the cheap Chinese one instead. YMMV.

Edited to add....

For anybody interested I see UK based Chris Algar is selling a used Rochelle on Ebay here.

Edited by Woody

To go back to the original question.

As a recent beginner, I am very glad I started with a 30 button anglo as you need at least those C#'s to play in D which I came across pretty soon. It also wasn't long before I began to find the "reversed" G/A button on the third row very useful. I would definitely say if you are going to buy a C/G anglo, then go for a 30 button one.

As to a G/D Rochelle, I would consider buying one. I could not justify the cost of another Morse, but the price of the Rochelle would make it feasible for me to get a G/D as a second concertina.

I'm not sure what my wife would say, though as I have recently taken up flute :unsure:

Geoff

Thanks guys, I'm sold - or more to the point they've sold. I purchased a Rochelle on Sunday. Just waiting for the postie. Can't wait to get it, I'm sure I'll be posting some help questions in the near future.

Cheers

Kacy