carrying music scores on your "device"

shelly0312

My only issue is that I am constantly marking up and making notations, correcting erasing rearranging. My iPad is too luditish for this.

rss

OK, I'm living large and purchased and downloaded "forScore". (I am working with Ipad 2--pretty big sale with 3 just coming out.) Do not ask me how I did it, but I did download all of the Paul Hardy's Tune book onto my brand new Ipad. OMG !!!!! And I see instructions in this app that you CAN make notations on the pages; it allows you to rearrange pages; rearrange segments. It seems to have a lot interesting features. I'm waiting until I'm at work to print the 25 page insturction book. ssshhhhh! I found I was reading it word by word to do the first download. Then I scrabbled through my programs and e-mails to find ABC explorer. Tallship was so generous about queing me in on this program about a year ago. I futzed some but never properly used it. Now I'll see if I can use it to group all the great tunes from "something for the weekend"--again a lot of great material there from Tallship--and load that on the Pad. Most of my absolute favorites are from "something for the weekend". I am sooo excited. I can save my wrists for playing, not overtax them lugging backpacks full of music around! I am giddy! wwoo wooo rainy weekend work.

Thanks...I'll check it out.

rss

I have way overstretched my "geekdom". It took me a full day to duplicate my first success downloading all of Paul Hardy's tunebook onto my IPad. Very low learning curve. Now, I've got it. I have most all the tunes from "something for the weekend" into scores and downloaded; AND sorted into playsets. Of course now I'm wishing I could download all of that O'Caerolan's tunebook--which is in GIF. I thought GIF was just photos--but IPad photos does not like it. I see complicated internet instructions for GIF to PDF conversions that seem to involve sending stuff into the "clouds" and back...I always worry about virus and trojans and how long would that take if I do it item by item. Anyone got some brillian idea / suggestions?? Michelle

Display the gif as you want it on the ipad screen in your browser of choice. Then press your home button and on off switch simultaneously. The screen will blink and you will have delivered a perfect screenshot onto the picture roll. If you are saying you have gifs on your PC then you need to convert to jpg's in a graphics prog before sending to your ipad. You can just email them and save down from your email to picture roll.

Simon

Display the gif as you want it on the ipad screen in your browser of choice. Then press your home button and on off switch simultaneously. The screen will blink and you will have delivered a perfect screenshot onto the picture roll. If you are saying you have gifs on your PC then you need to convert to jpg's in a graphics prog before sending to your ipad. You can just email them and save down from your email to picture roll.

Simon

For non-Ipadders like self, would one just be able on PC to do

Alt Prt Sc(reen) (which copies whole screen in front of you)

and then ctrl v (paste) that into a Word file, or would the gif on screen not be clear enough?

Firefox had a good fast copy screen function add-on which allowed you to select certain parts of screen (e.g. just a score) but that has now been disabled in Firefox update - perhaps they fell out with the developers

edited to correct ctrl Prt sc to Alt Prt Sc

and

"across the room on macbook" says screen copy

is Command shift 3 takes picture of entire screen

and Command shift 4 takes pic of part of screen.

Edited by Kautilya

Simon

For non-Ipadders like self, would one just be able on PC to do

Alt Prt Sc(reen) (which copies whole screen in front of you)

and then ctrl v (paste) that into a Word file, or would the gif on screen not be clear enough?

Firefox had a good fast copy screen function add-on which allowed you to select certain parts of screen (e.g. just a score) but that has now been disabled in Firefox update - perhaps they fell out with the developers

edited to correct ctrl Prt sc to Alt Prt Sc

and

"across the room on macbook" says screen copy

is Command shift 3 takes picture of entire screen

and Command shift 4 takes pic of part of screen.

A screen shot is never going to be as sharp as a ps or pdf created by any of the many software programs.

And putting a picture into word to get it into a kindle probably just makes things worse. You'll do better to go straight to pdf.

(Word text files to kindle format are fine and give you theoptions of scaling fonts, rotating etc. but a word file which just contains a gif of a screenshot is just going be displayed scaled to fit)

I'm currently thinking of seeing how clear I can get the dots displayed, and creating a pdf with links and an index to make finding things easier. I have a suspicion the the new high def ipad might be nice, but I don't have one, and I don't think that I'll be allowed to buy one just now :-)

ps Tunepal is great from what I've seen.

1335738539[/url]' post='135658']

Of course now I'm wishing I could download all of that O'Caerolan's tunebook--which is in GIF.

I don't know which collection you found but the old music project has O'Carolan tunes in abc as well as gif. Using the abc directly or converting it to PDF will give you much better results than working with gif.

I don't know which collection you found but the old music project has O'Carolan tunes in abc as well as gif. Using the abc directly or converting it to PDF will give you much better results than working with gif.

aa daaa; this is why I talk to you guys; you get to the meat of the subject. I have too straight a thinkin' This is exactly what I will do--have tied up a number of hours doing same to other tune books. Couldn't see the tree for the forest! Thanks for smacking me on the side of the head!!!! shelly

• 4 weeks later...
There's a very nice large screen kindle (the kindle DX with a 10" screen ie nearly A4) only available in the US

I bought a second-hand Kindle DX on eBay (UK) purely for the purpose of storing sheet music instead of lugging around files. Whilst it does display the PDFs well (except in low light), I sometimes find it quite difficult to find a tune on there. I need to come up with a better method of storing/indexing them. A single PDF index might help, but even so, searching takes a while.

second-hand Kindle DX on eBay

I have not checked recently--but the IPad 2 (now that the 3 has been released) was/is pretty reasonably priced; has that small profile and can be adjusted in reading size and even backlite for low light conditions. I have found that the app "forScore" is everything that it was cracked up to be ( you can make handwritten notes on the pages, adjust the page sizes, group, make favorites)--I still have not explored all that this app offers. I've probably downloaded and labeled different "books", sets, groupings of more than 3000 pages of music; even my bass clef bassoon practice music. And finally, I probably should not admit this little bit of extravegance--I did order an "AirTurn" --a bluetooth tiny foot pedal so I don't have to pull my thumbs out to flip page to page and set to set. (If you really want to go nuts the same company that produces AirTurn also has a folding stand that clamps your Pad into place) I do love the AirTurn bit of luxury. All these little adjustments have surely made travel a lot easier! As I like to remind my hubbie--at least I don't hang around in bars......... I would think all this could be adjusted for use on a small laptop also?

I have way overstretched my "geekdom". It took me a full day to duplicate my first success downloading all of Paul Hardy's tunebook onto my IPad. Very low learning curve. Now, I've got it. I have most all the tunes from "something for the weekend" into scores and downloaded; AND sorted into playsets. Of course now I'm wishing I could download all of that O'Caerolan's tunebook--which is in GIF. I thought GIF was just photos--but IPad photos does not like it. I see complicated internet instructions for GIF to PDF conversions that seem to involve sending stuff into the "clouds" and back...I always worry about virus and trojans and how long would that take if I do it item by item. Anyone got some brillian idea / suggestions?? Michelle

1) As previously mentioned Carolan is available in ABC files (though some are not in the commonly used keys).

2)EasyABC will produce PDF files of collections of ABC files, and on a PC you'll get the built in bookmarks that will take you to any piece immediately (on the Mac you have to do one bit of extra work that is easy. PM me if you are in that situation).

3) printing the PDF files in landscape gives much bigger print if you can get the tune on a single page of landscape viewed iPad.