Having A Latin American Accordion Tech Make Me A Duet Concertina?

PeacockLeft.jpg

apologizing for the backward lettering. The answer from Karen Wakker was that my "drawing is correct" for a left side descending keyboard. I suppose it's possible that she just looked at the bottom row to identify descending, without noticing the differences in the top two rows. I guess i'll see.

This diagram certainly implies a new end, action board and sound board for the LHS.

Shouldn't Wim be able to program his machines to simply make a mirror image of the usual left-hand end, action layout, and reed pan? I think the only part of the design that might be more complex to deal with is the positioning of the hand bar.

Perhaps, I don't know what equipment he uses and how easy it might be to mirror everything. If everything is that automated then his prices need to come down dramatically. I assumed his prices reflect a significant amount of hand work.

Here is a picture of the action board. It looks like some very careful layout design here and, I suspect, some hand bending of the levers to get it all to fit.

007-1.jpg

The hand rail is held on with 3 tiny wood screws and would be easy to reposition.

Don.

With some trepidation, here is another image which I think far better shows what I am thinking about...

Not sure why you would not be better off just buying an Elise (used perhaps?)

Those Stagis are as big as an Elise and even the best one (the W-15 LN) is not as nice to play as one of Wim's boxes.

Good point.

I had an Elise for a few years. Do not want to do back to that again - for lots of reason; further it is too big. The goal is a small compact inexpensive traveler concertina. If I do this I would look for a concertina 5-6 inches across the flats. Perhaps it would be only 20 buttons. One can find them readily, and accordion reed are likewise readily available on ebay.

Edited by Noel Ways

Goals to this project

• Keep it SMALL

• Keep it INEXPENSIVE

• Anyone can do it using "cheepo Anglo" and Accordian Reeds from ebay (or where ever)

• Keep if FUN

• Protect one's primary Hayden Instrument from adversity.

ANG_HAD_05.jpg

Edited by Noel Ways

I would guess that doing a true mirror on the left side of a Peacock would be less expensive than moving reeds around. The design itself is probably trivial for the software that drives the CNC, and all the standard parts could be used, just in different (mirrored) locations. Moving the reed placements around would require some of the reeds in the set to be changed to accommodate the irregular 4th row (and maybe some at the ends of the other rows). Also, the chamber sizes would need to be changed.

Edited by rlgph

Not sure why you would not be better off just buying an Elise (used perhaps?)Those Stagis are as big as an Elise and even the best one (the W-15 LN) is not as nice to play as one of Wim's boxes.

I agree with that. However, the fact one could make a limited Wicki/Hayden with no more effort than an Anglo might encourage one of the Anglo makers to do so and increase the choices of Wicki/Haydens available.

Goals to this project

• Keep it SMALL

• Keep it INEXPENSIVE

• Anyone can do it using "cheepo Anglo" and Accordian Reeds from ebay (or where ever)

• Keep if FUN

• Protect one's primary Hayden Instrument from adversity.

I hate to be a Grinch (really I do!) but those small 20B Anglos that you see all over eBay, the ones like this one:

IMG_5349.jpg

are actually 6 3/4" across the flats. A little smaller than an Elise (7 1/4") but not enough to make it feel small.

If you had the reeds then it would not be too difficult to make the change to an Anglo Hayden, the reeds are in an easily removed/replaced reed block:

IMG_5369.jpg

The action on these boxes is a knock off of the original Stagi action, including the decomposing black rubber tubing!

IMG_5353.jpg

I suspect that you would like the Marcus Traveller, but even as an off the shelf Anglo it would cost about $2,000:

http://www.marcusmusic.co.uk/concertinas.html

Pretty little thing, though.

Don.

Don,

thanks for the tip. 6 3/4 " is workable for a backpack.

I just put a bid on one of those - we'll see. I'm now

determined !!

If it works, I'll start another forum. If it doesn't, well,

I know it can - just try again.

Your not a grinch, your the silver lining

of the cloud.

Hope you got my email earlier.

Got to get back to work, this has been

way to consuming !!

PS, what do you think of the following from previous post:

" ... the fact one could make a limited Wicki/Hayden with no more effort than an Anglo might encourage one of the Anglo makers to do so and increase the choices of Wicki/Haydens available." - rlgph

http://www.noelways.com/ANG_HAD_05.jpg

Edited by Noel Ways

PS, what do you think of the following from previous post:

" ... the fact one could make a limited Wicki/Hayden with no more effort than an Anglo might encourage one of the Anglo makers to do so and increase the choices of Wicki/Haydens available." - rlgph

Most (all?) of the modern Anglo hybrids (that are not Chinese like my red beast above) are priced at, or above, the price of the base level Peacock. While I would like a Hayden the size and weight of a Ceili, I would want something more than what you propose for the kind of coin that would command. So I am not optimistic. Also, I am OK with my Elise for rough environments.

I just wish that Wim had managed to cram at least one extra reed into the LHS of the Peacock: an A above middle C would be nice to have. I have looked at his sound board and it is pretty packed, but he might have been able to squeeze one more (short) reed in there although that would probably mean that he would have to re-route most of the action levers.

003.jpg

Don.