New Videos Concertina

Leo

Interesting. In the first clip I didn't notice any difference in sound between the three instruments. Is it just me, or the recording?

On the last one it sounded like a very good authentic playing, with lots of character and intended dissonance.

In those clips inbetween the amount of reverberation was a bit annoying and I would really appreciate some harmony work too.

It seems to me that single line melody on Anglo doesn't cut it. Esp. when played in home keys it's so easy to add harmony, so why not? On Laurel and Hardy clip the Anglo is cheap 20 button German, and the harmony work is so great.

Edited by m3838

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irish reel on 3 different concertinas (anybody know who the headless concertina player is?) :ph34r:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTLxhUN6cdo

I am :ph34r: ..

Interesting. In the first clip I didn't notice any difference in sound between the three instruments. Is it just me, or the recording?

I also wondered. Because, from player's position, these three have quite distinctive sound.

My personal impressions are:

Lachenal: a bit slow to start, warm and nasal sound

Geuns: fast, warm moderate-volume

Edgley: fast, bright and powerful

But when I check the clip, yes, the sound difference seems slighter. Maybe I should use better microphone instead of camera built-in one.

Thank you for the comments :)

--

Taka

Edited by Takayuki YAGI

Irish reel on 3 different concertinas (anybody know who the headless concertina player is?) :ph34r:

My personal impressions are:

Lachenal: a bit slow to start, warm and nasal sound

Geuns: fast, warm moderate-volume

Edgley: fast, bright and powerful

--

Taka

Taka,

I heard a difference...

Lachenal: warm and in no way nasal, with an even sound throughout the registers displayed.

Genuns: the higher notes had the most "bite" of the three.

Edgley: moderate "bite" on the high notes and just a wee bit muffled in the lower regester

I'm always suprised when I hear my concertina recorded, depending on circumstance. It's a puzzler for sure. Good news from my standpoint is that all three of your instruments have a lovely sound and the reel was played very well indeed. I would have been all over the place picking up three different instruments :blink: Bravo.