2 Fun Tunes

Jim Besser

HEre are two tunes I recently learned that are great fun on a C/G anglo:

Kohler's Hornpipe, in C. The B part is a real workout with alternative fingerings.

Pincushion Polka. In C, G and F! Wonderful, bouncy polka.

If anybody wants the ABC's I can send them.

>why not place them in the Tune-o-Tron at this website

>... Or even better, why not record them, place them somewehere

> on the internet and send us a link

Alas, I can't enter the tunes. I use an alternative browser, and the Concertina.net software won't allow me to access some functions, including uploading. But it's better than it was; it used to be I couldn't reply to messages!

If you want to do it yourself, here are the two tunes in ABC; just copy and paste to your own ABC collection. The version of Pincushion is slightly different from what I learned:

X: 81

T:Kohler's Hornpipe

M:C

L:1/8

Q:230

C:Traditional

S:Kohler's Repository

R:Hornpipe

Z:posted by John Erdman 4/98

K:C

G2|"C"c2cB cdef|"C"g^fga "C7"gedc|"F"A^GAB cdcA|"C"GEcA "C7"GECE|

"F"FEFG AGAB|"C"cBcd "A7"egag|"Dm"fedc "F"Ac"G7"Bd|"C"eccB c2:|

|:g2|"C"egcg egcg|"G"dgBg dgBg|"Am"ceAe ceAe|"Em"GcEc "C7"GcEc|

"F"FEFG AGAB|"C"cBcd "A7"egag|"Dm"fedc "F"Ac"G7"Bd|"C"eccB c2:|

X: 71

T:Pincushion Polka

R:Polka

M:2/4

L:1/16

e2|efg2 gag2|c'2e2 g4|a2d2 f4|g2c2 e4|

efg2 gag2|c'2e2 g4|a2d2 f2B2|c2e2 c2:|

K:G

z2|d2d2 c'4|b2b2 g4|abc'2 d2f2|g2b2 d4|

d2d2 c'4|b2b2 g4|abc'2 d2g2|a2g2 g2:|

z2|efg2 gag2|c'2e2 g4|a2d2 f4|g2c2 e4|

efg2 gag2|c'2e2 g4|a2d2 f2B2|c2e2 c2:|

K:F

z2|C2F2 F2A2|BcBA GAB2|C2G2 G2AG|F2d2 c4|

C2F2 F2A2|BcBA GAB2|C2G2 G2AG|F2A2 F2:|

I cannot read the ABC version, will anyway try to learn it.

But sincerely until I will learn to play it, will pass long time.

It is only halfway a joke, and I say it with a big smile :

I am keen to listen to you. And I propose record on a tape if you do not have a MD Recorder.

We shall put it into the Internt for you.

There is no more excuse ! :P :P :P :ph34r:

Alas, I can't enter the tunes. I use an alternative browser, and the Concertina.net software won't allow me to access some functions, including uploading.

Upload?!! With abc notation I just copy and paste from whatever I used on my own machine. It's only text.

>Upload?!! With abc notation I just copy and paste from whatever

> I used on my own machine. It's only text.

I've been using ABC for years and know it's "only text." But to put a tune on the Tune-A-Tron, you have to register to have access to the upload or cut/paste facility, or whatever it is. That's what I can't get to.

You have to do the same thing when you send a message on the forums, but for some reason this now works with alternative browsers (it didn't before, with the old system), but the Tune-A-Tron does not. Even now, when I'm obviously signed in to send this message, I can't go to the Tune-a-tron and get an add-tune window.

Even now, when I'm obviously signed in to send this message, I can't go to the Tune-a-tron and get an add-tune window.

Logging into the "new" (now only) Forums and the "old" other parts of Concertina.net are independent processes. Go to http://www.concertina.net/, select "Sign In", sign in (with your old id & password, if they're different from your Forum ones), and then go to the Tune-O-Tron and see if it works for you.

>Logging into the "new" (now only) Forums and the "old" other parts of

> Concertina.net are independent processes. Go to http://www.concertina.net/, >select "Sign In", sign in (with your old id & password, if they're different from your >Forum ones), and then go to the Tune-O-Tron and see if it works for you.

Done all that, doesn't work. It WILL work if I switch to my old computer and Internet Explorer, but I don't use that program on my main computer and don't wish to.

But as you point out, it's easy enough to post ABCs as text in messages, which is why I did that initially.

>I have placed the two tunes in the Tune-O-Tron. I like them very much and I >think that Kohler's Hornpipe combines very well with "Off to California".

Thanks!

I learned Pincushion from a fiddler who sort of slides up to the high C, which gives the tune a wonderful lift. She copied it from Rodney Miller's "Airplang ll" CD. (no, that's not a typo). He's a wonderful New England fiddler. I've never encountered a recording of Kohler's, just played it in sessions. But I think it's a particularly interesting tune on concertina.

;) Thank you Jim Besser, thank you Henk,

I have just listened the two fun tunes. I like them and certainly will try to learn them.

Nobody wantys to play it on the concertina and put it in the Internet ?

Courage !

Must I do iot some day ?

Thank you idp for the info about the Great Meadow Music Label.

Joachim

>Nobody wantys to play it on the concertina and put it in the Internet ?

>Courage !

Courage is great, but I think I'll get a little better on these tunes before recording them! Both are works in progress for me, you might say.

I think this issue was first raised about Ashoken Farewell. Isn't that the one people wanted to hear a recording of? That I could do without the need for courage.