Band Names

Judging from the recent postings in another thread, this might have some legs.

For a one-off gig with two melodeon players (one and two row), we went under the name of "Captain Kharzi and the Galloping Majors". Not really sure how well received it was :unsure: .

I while later, I had a dance band for two or three years. Line-up fiddle, fiddle/hammered dulcimer, melodeon, concertina. I was a lot more conservative, here, and the band was called "The Mad Hatters".

So, how about some really wacky names, either actual, or yet to happen.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from the recent postings in another thread, this might have some legs.

For a one-off gig with two melodeon players (one and two row), we went under the name of "Captain Kharzi and the Galloping Majors". Not really sure how well received it was :unsure: .

I while later, I had a dance band for two or three years. Line-up fiddle, fiddle/hammered dulcimer, melodeon, concertina. I was a lot more conservative, here, and the band was called "The Mad Hatters".

So, how about some really wacky names, either actual, or yet to happen.

"edward the second and the red hot pokers" always made me wince and smile in equal measure :o :blink: :D

To date I've been in "Blind Panic", Achilles Heel", "Whigamaleeries", "Hen's Teeth", "The Calvadossers" and, for one performance only so far, "Lune-a-sea". I've also been a stand in replacement in "Scallywag" on two ocassions.

We're still looking for a permanent name for "Lune-a-sea" as it's too close to "Lunacer". Then there's another project with no name yet as well.

The various rejected names have been too many to list, and most of them seemed much less interesting on the following morning!

Robin Madge

I once booked Ticklers Folk Circus (the folk club version of Ticklers Jam) and very good they were too!

My all time favourite rock bands were 'Half man, half biscuit' (amazing - 'Trumpton Riots' & 'All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit' the best Subbuteo song ever) and the Brighton band 'Christians in search of filth'. Not a 'tina in sight though.

One of my bands was called 'Naff McGaff', and another (the dance band version) 'Two Left Feet' ('Dances for the physically dyslexic').

Chris

I once booked Ticklers Folk Circus (the folk club version of Ticklers Jam) and very good they were too!

Indeed they were. They were residents of our local folk club, at the Three Blackbirds, hence Dick's question. Mind you, there really was such a thing as Tickler's Jam, once upon a time ...

"edward the second and the red hot pokers" always made me wince and smile in equal measure :o :blink: :D

I think the joke was that they were named "Edward the Second and the red hot polkas", the pokers you had to supply yourself! :huh: :blink: :o

Ohhhhh!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edward the second always makes me think of pokers instead of polkas! A very good history teacher is to blame for that :D . I dare not ever repeat what he told the class about Katherine the Great (of Russia) :ph34r: [according to numerous urban myth websites - it was an urban myth and not true]

Edited by Peter Brook

Some (well, quite a few) years back, Keith Kendrick was in a band called "Ramsbottom"; named, no doubt, after the Derby Ram.

There is a place of the same name, but it's in Greater Manchester. Its claim to fame is the hill which is some 940 yards long, with maximum gradient 1 in 4.8 (21%) :( and with the top 170 yards at 1 in 6.5 or steeper :( :( . The National Championship Hill Climb was run on this course in 1999, and I remember an epic struggle, against gravity, with thousands cheering me on (and probably a few hoping that I would fall off :unsure: ). My time of 4min 13sec was about 2 minutes behind that of the winner. I decided against trying to qualify for a return trip in 2005!.

So, how about some really wacky names ...

Well there was a trio who called themselves Wheatstone Bridge, but I see that they have now officially changed their name to Torrent, so I guess that's all now water under the ... (ducks, and runs for cover :unsure: )

I'm not surprised they changed their name - there are 4 resisters in a wheatstone bridge so every performance would have been out of balance!