Something For The Weekend?

Pete Dunk

But I may know it as Con Cassidy's - confusing isn't it.

Never in the field of traditional music has one tune apparently become known by so many different names. :blink:

Chris

P.S. Pete. Your large collection seems to get a bit 'windy' towards the end; and thank you for including my Gardener's Delight jig in it. :)

P.S. Pete. Your large collection seems to get a bit 'windy' towards the end; and thank you for including my Gardener's Delight jig in it. :)

You're welcome Chris. :D

This tune has something about it but I'm not quite sure what. Fascination of the horrible possibly!

X:1

T:Belle Savage (JW 32), La

M:C|

L:1/8

S:John Walsh Junior. The Compleat Country Dancing Master... Vol 6 1756

Q:1/2=80

K:G

P:A

c | BGAF G3 c | BGAF G3 c | BGAF GEDC | B,GA, F G3 :|!

P:B

c | (B/c/d) DF G3 c | (B/c/d) DF G3 c | B/c/d Dc (B/c/d) Dc |!

B/c/d Dc (B/c/d) Dc | BG cF \GEDC | B,GA, F [G3 G,3] |]

Any connection with The Bell Savage Inn do you think?

Yes, I would think so! Perhaps La Belle Savage was a noted young lady who appeared at the Bell Savage Inn Theatre, or more likely at that period in time a young man noted for playing female parts in the plays. I've bookmarked the page so I can read it in full later.

Nice to see you posting here Dirge :D , I was afraid I'd offended you. :o

Any connection with The Bell Savage Inn do you think?

Yes, I would think so! Perhaps La Belle Savage was a noted young lady who appeared at the Bell Savage Inn Theatre, or more likely at that period in time a young man noted for playing female parts in the plays. I've bookmarked the page so I can read it in full later.

Nice to see you posting here Dirge :D , I was afraid I'd offended you. :o

God no.

I noticed the name because I've come across it before in an old book; it was used by Cassells as a trade mark in their early days because they started up business on the site of the Belle Savage pub.

• 2 weeks later...
God no.

I noticed the name because I've come across it before in an old book; it was used by Cassells as a trade mark in their early days because they started up business on the site of the Belle Savage pub.

:D

Right then, I just had to post this one because of the name! It's also an unusual tune and will give sight readers a bit of a work out ...

T:Lady Pentweazles Maggot

Q:1/2=100

K:Bb

FE | DF B2-BdcB | cA f2-fedc | defd cdec | d2 B2-BGFE | DF B2-BFG_A |!

GE | c2- cGAB | A2 g2 fedc | d2 B4 :| [P:B] fg | f2 b2 fdcB | A2 B2 cAGF | =Efga B2 gB |!

A2 G4 A2 | Bdgf =e2 dc | d=efd c2 BA | G2 d2 cBAG | A2 F4 FE | DF B2 -BdcB |!

cA f2 -fedc | dBfd cAec | d2 B2- BGFE | DF B2- BFG_A | GE c2 -cGAB | A2 g2 fedc | d2 B4 |]

Right then, I just had to post this one because of the name! It's also an unusual tune and will give sight readers a bit of a work out ...

Lady Pentweazles Maggot

biggrin.gif ..... I'll have to learn it just to see the look on peoples faces when they hear what it's called laugh.gif

The next two in the manuscript are entitled 'Creaking Bedstead' and 'Harlequin Sorcerer' - I kid you not! :blink:

laugh.gif oooh ..... a medley..... Lady Pentweazles Creaking Bedstead ......

ducks behind sofa.....emoticon-object-005.gif

Here it is then. "By Request". Not a tune I would have added to this thread I have to say, titles can be a little misleading. It's quirky but not in a good way. :rolleyes:

X:64

T: Creaking Beadstead (JW 64)

M:6/8

Z:vmp. Peter Dunk

Q:3/8=120

K:G

d2 g gfg | Gef gfg | B2 e ede | Eed ede | G2 c cBc | CAG FED |!

EFG AFD | G3 G,3 :: [P:B] d2 b bab | dgb bgd |!

c2 a aga | cfa afA | B2 g gfg | BAG FED | EFG AFD | G3 G,3 :|

Damn. Does this mean I have to transcribe it before I go to bed ? :unsure: It's been a long day!

Here it is then. "By Request". Not a tune I would have added to this thread I have to say, titles can be a little misleading. It's quirky but not in a good way. :rolleyes:

Thankyou smiley-happy065.gif I didn't expect you to take the trouble to do it so quickly, it's a charming tune biggrin.gif

Edited by anlej

• 2 weeks later...

This one is distinctly odd and I don't know if I actually like it at all. 'Tis quirky though.

T:Yay & Nay (JW 87)

Q:1/2=90

K:Bb

D2 | GBAc Bdce | d2 c2 B2 A2 | G4 ^F4 | GBAG ^FEFD | BdAc Bdce | d2 c2 B2 A2 |!

G4 ^F4 | GG, BD G2 :|[P:B]A2 | Bdce dgfe | d2 c2 B2 A2 | B4 A4 | B2 B,2 D2 F2 |!

Bdce dgfe | d2 c2 B2 A2 | B4 A3 c | B6 d2 | gdgd ^fdfd | gdgd ^fdfd |!

g^fga gbag | ^f4 d3 c | BGBG A^FAF | BGBG AcBd | cedc B2 AG | G6 |]

This one is distinctly odd and I don't know if I actually like it at all. 'Tis quirky though.

T:Yay & Nay (JW 87)

I like that one a lot, although (or perhaps because) it sounds a bit like it comes from some bizarre outpost of the 18th Century klezmer scene ...

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to post this one, it's a cracking little jig plumbed from the depths of an ancient manuscript and destined to take the session scene by storm once a few players pick it up. Remember where you saw it first!

X:148

T:Harlequin in the Mud or Busby's Frolick (JW 148)

M:6/8

S:Transcription by Paul Dennant - 2011

Q:3/8=120

K:F

F2 c cAF | E2 G GEC | F2 c cAF | FAc f3 | F2 c cAF | E2 G GEC |!

DEF GEC | DEF F3 :: [P:B] cdc cAF | FAc fed |!

cBA GAF | EFG ECc | AFd BGf | ece f2 B | AGF CFE | F3-F3 :|