A Modest Proposal

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I participate in a couple of other forums that use this software package. One thing that can increase ease of use significantly is to break the general discussion forum into a number of specialized forums. We could have, for instance, forums for instruments, technique, festivals and schools, Irish music, Morris, classical, etc. We could even have a separate Goran and Jim forum ;)

Does that strike you as a useful change?

Dave

I am almost in agreement with you except where would I post a query about what instrument and technique is best for Morris? Also I like to read everything because of happenstance but if there was, for instance, an Irish forum I would proably never venture in.

I agree with Lester, that it's difficult to know where to put splits. Furthermore, you end up with a whole new load of idiot postings complaining about posts in the "wrong" forum.

No, just give me back my tree listing of all postings and I'll be happy.

Chris

One thing that can increase ease of use significantly is to break the general discussion forum into a number of specialized forums.

Bingo. That's a big reason why I went with this package. The lines between publishing web pages and forums then blur, which is good because people like to discuss articles anyway, and since the forum system becomes a remarkably flexible content management system. So my idea isn't so much to break up discussions, but to create more, guided and interesting ones. For example, I'm trying to line up some Q&A sessions with pros and other concertina world people who don't normally participate in these or ANY forums, so the Q&A will be in a separate, moderated forum -- cool! Same thing with some specialized content... it can be posted in a closed forum, then there can be a separate dedicated Q&A and/or discussion forum attached.

Paul

Thanks Paul for upgrading the forum page and making it more user friendly in order to stimulate more meaningful and directed discussions. I'm sure it will be successful once we all get the hang of this new contraption- sort of like learning how to play the concertina!!

We could even have a separate Goran and Jim forum  ;)

Do you mean that Forum to be *for* us, or *about* us? :)

Both of course! :rolleyes:

Samantha

J&G on J&G. Hmm.

Well, we have been known to do that occasionally, but appearances to the contrary, mainly off line.