Wolverton Is My Delight

As you might have noticed on another thread I recently collected precisely on the promised date a new Wolverton C/G Anglo which I had ordered 8 weeks previously.

I found Jake to be a lovely chap to deal with, very helpful and open, and appreciative of my order from his relatively new venture. It obvious however that he will become increasingly busy with fresh orders.

Along the way we agreed that my instrument would have ebonised ends (lacquered over the Walnut veneer) and, as a small extra, an Air Lever instead of the usual button. The strap handles were to be profiled, not as a custom shape as an extra, but as a standard profile pattern.

Straightaway it was obvious that my new Concertina was beautifully made with exemplary fit and finish and the open design, unique to Wolverton Concertinas, of the polished and smooth laser cut end plates, had instant appeal.

The action, fairly short but at just the right pressure, was really smooth and quiet. Airtightness was excellent.

The leather bellows, neatly finished were supple and free of that irritating 'new' independent pull or push sometimes found with new bellows. Their 7 folds accounted for the total weight of 1308g compared with the 1170g of my 6 fold vintage Lachenal. I opted out of the rather nice bellows decor that Jake offered having always had a preference for the plain variety.

All the reeds were crisp and responsive, with good volume, black cloth 'end inserts' notwithstanding. They were arranged in standard 30 button Wheatstone layout given my inclination for 'chordy' tunes as well as Irish traditional. As hybrid reeds I felt they sounded exceptionally convincing compared with not only the Lachenal but also my Aeola EC, and after a good few of hours of playing I remain of the same opinion.

The Air Lever, now a slim elegant brass lever not a tipping button as original design is utterly heaven sent. Why is this so rare on Anglos ? So intuitive, comfortable, and easy to use, just brilliant.

The raised handles which permit snugly adjusted straps while allowing full reach and manipulation are extremely comfortable. Those straps are of noticeably good quality as well, and the retaining screws have had their brass tops nicely polished.

From all this you may gather that I am extremely happy and satisfied with my new Anglo…… and indeed I am.

Usual disclaimers, Jake knows nothing of this posting.

However I have every confidence in recommending his instruments, and wishing him all success.

Rob

Edited by Robin Tims

Meant to add my disappointment that Jake's enviable playing skills are not actually built in to his Concertinas……..sigh

I still remember sitting listening to him playing 'my' instrument when I collected it, wow !

Rob

Edited by Robin Tims

• 3 weeks later...