"Dallas" anglo concertina - Crabb origin?

ben

I wonder if anyone can help me identify an anglo concertina I am selling for a friend. The 30 button anglo has the name: "DallaS" ...."Made in england" on both sides of the metal ends..where one would expect the manufacturer's name and serial number. Was "Dallas" concertinas rebranded Crabb anglo's from the 1933 to 1953 period? I believe there was a certain J.E. Dallas who bought concertinas from the Crabb family between 1925 and 1931. The fretwork is crude similar to the cheap Crabb anglo's of the 1930's to early 1950"s. The action is rivited and the reeds are set in brass frames.....in a parrallell manner..rather than the Wheastsone dovetailed way.

I wonder if Geoff Crabb would have any information???

Thanks,

Ben

Edited by Ben

I wonder if anyone can help me identify an anglo concertina I am selling for a friend. The 30 button anglo has the name: "DallaS" ...."Made in england" on both sides of the metal ends..where one would expect the manufacturer's name and serial number. Was "Dallas" concertinas rebranded Crabb anglo's from the 1933 to 1953 period? I believe there was a certain J.E. Dallas who bought concertinas from the Crabb family between 1925 and 1931. The fretwork is crude similar to the cheap Crabb anglo's of the 1930's to early 1950"s. The action is rivited and the reeds are set in brass frames.....in a parrallell manner..rather than the Wheastsone dovetailed way.

Any information on "Dallas" anglo concertinaas would be appreciated. I wonder if Geoff Crabb would have any information???

Thanks,

Ben

Ben,

J.E. Dallas was a dealer for Lachenal concertinas - he is referred to here.

Is the concertina a Jedcertina? (JED stands for JE Dallas)

Can you show us pictures of the concertina?

Marien

Edited by marien

Any information on "Dallas" anglo concertinaas would be appreciated. I wonder if Geoff Crabb would have any information???

Thanks,

Ben

Crabb Anglos (and Jedcertinas) both metal or wood ended were made for Dallas during the periods quoted as well as for other Wholesalers/dealers and in some cases rebadged. Many of these were 'budget' models (simple fretwork). Evidence of a number inside would definitely confirm. Usually a 4 digit number (pre 1946) but sometimes prefixed with 37, 38, or 39 denoting the year of manufacture i.e. 37**** . Post 1946 , 5 digit number, no prefix.

Rebadged metal ended Crabb

Geoffrey

Thank you Geoff!! I guess I will then call it a "Crabb...re-badged Dallas...Jedcertina". This particular concertina has a great sound.

Ben,

Judging by the photo, you should omit the "Jedcertina" bit! As far as I know, "Jedcertina" applies only to the 20-key piano-arrangement concertinas, and yours definitely looks like a 30-k Anglo.

I suppose the Jedcertina (like the similar Rust system, which however has more buttons) is yet another variety of Duet.

Cheers,

John E. Dallas

(No relation! :) The only thing I have in common with that John E. Dallas is the 5-string banjo. He made them - quite good ones, I believe; I play them ...)

Thank you Geoff!! I guess I will then call it a "Crabb...re-badged Dallas...Jedcertina". This particular concertina has a great sound.

Ben,

Judging by the photo, you should omit the "Jedcertina" bit! As far as I know, "Jedcertina" applies only to the 20-key piano-arrangement concertinas, and yours definitely looks like a 30-k Anglo.

I suppose the Jedcertina (like the similar Rust system, which however has more buttons) is yet another variety of Duet.

Cheers,

John E. Dallas

(No relation! :) The only thing I have in common with that John E. Dallas is the 5-string banjo. He made them - quite good ones, I believe; I play them ...)

Hello John.....I agree with you...it is better to view it as a Crabb/Dallas concertina.....now if Geoff Crabb can only make me a a new Crabb anglo....I will call it....Ben's Crabb anglo.

Ben,

Cheers,

John E. Dallas

Hello John.....I agree with you...it is better to view it as a Crabb/Dallas concertina.....now if Geoff Crabb can only make me a a new Crabb anglo....I will call it....Ben's Crabb anglo.

I believe I said "Crabb Anglos (and Jedcertinas)" were made for Dallas. Of course the instruments are of entirely different type.

My previous example shown was probably supplied stamped 'Crabb' like this one. and rebadged later by Dallas.

The name on Bens instrument, although now severly rubbed, was impressed during manufacture in the Crabb workshop.

using this stamp which I stiil have in my possesion

Geoff

• 4 years later...

Crabb Anglos (and Jedcertinas) both metal or wood ended were made for Dallas during the periods quoted as well as for other Wholesalers/dealers and in some cases rebadged. Many of these were 'budget' models (simple fretwork). Evidence of a number inside would definitely confirm. Usually a 4 digit number (pre 1946) but sometimes prefixed with 37, 38, or 39 denoting the year of manufacture i.e. 37**** . Post 1946 , 5 digit number, no prefix.

Geoff,

I'm resurrecting this old thread because Ben found another of those Dallas Anglos and sold it to me!

It has the logo

DallaS

Made in England

clearly engraved on both ends, with the same logo stamped on the inside of the reed-pans.

It also has a 4-digit number stamped on the outside, on the flat side adjacent to the air-button: 8310, without a prefix. Does this date it to pre-1946?

Actually, there are two stamped numbers. The other one is "830" but is overstamped with what looks like a "Z" on its side. Seems like someone was stamping concertinas in series: "8308, 8309, 830 - Dammit! The next one should have a 10 at the end!"

I must say, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. The concertina sits nicely in the hands, and the thick, domed buttons are very comfortable to press. Ben described the tone as "warm", which it is. Mellifluous rather than strident, and very well balanced between the low and high notes.

The concertina complements one of my zither-banjos, which was manufactured by John E. Dallas some time before 1915. My name is also John E. Dallas - no relation to the other one - so I have a sentimental attachment to his instruments. Although I took up both the banjo and the concertina before I even knew that my namesake existed!

Grateful for any information,

Cheers,

John