chas

But perhaps his playing is? Interesting to look at the envelopes of several players:

Simon Thoumire playing an Irish tune on YouTube:

post-11004-0-29640200-1400215184_thumb.gif

Henrik playing Daniel O'Connell on YouTube:

post-11004-0-21612500-1400215770_thumb.gif

Florence Fahey playing a tune on Anglo on her Concertina Chick website:

post-11004-0-03492800-1400215220_thumb.gif

In Simon's sample, we see the "machine gun" capability of the EC demonstrated. The notes can come as fast as the fingers allow, and, in his case, that's pretty fast!

At the other extreme, Florence's Anglo demands regular direction changes, inserting gaps in the flow of notes that are presumably only partly filled by the natural reverb of the room.

I'd suggest Henrik's sample lies somewhere between those, indeed, a lot closer to Florence's than Simon's. I suspect there's more reverb on Henrik's recording than Florence's so the notes won't appear so well separated. But further, this is possibly his instrument with accordion reeds (?), and we might expect to see different starting times. (Ideally, we'd have examples of the same tune played in the same room on the same microphones, but that's a bit tricky to organise from down here!)

Now whether you need to have Henrik's Sneaky Straps to achieve this on the EC is probably up to other EC players to clarify. Happy to put up a comparative sample if anyone points me to a source. Has to be solo concertina of course.

Terry

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4) The real test of whether a performance is within the style has much more to do with the style of the MUSIC than with the style of any particular instrument, so I think judgements about performance need to be made on that standard and not on whether one instrument matches what another particular instrument does.

Comments?

I am with you on that one!

/Henrik

A bit slow seeing this - just back off holiday! Have been enjoying Noel Battle and Roisin Broderick on anglo and harmonica recently (Up and About in the Morning) so it's nice to hear some fine Irish music on English/Anglish and harmonica (+ fiddle of course). Lovely clip, Henrik. To sample Up and About: https://soundcloud.com/www-tradconnect-com/noel-battle-roisin-broderick

Terry's envelopes are very revealing. A useful self-analysis tool, methinks - in addition to good old listening.

On the Daniel O'Connell note, Terry, I recall our playing O'Connell's Trip to Parliament many years ago at the Bedford Bash - (not on concertinas, of course. :o ). Now there's a tune that falls nicely on EC.

• 3 months later...

A bit slow seeing this - just back off holiday! Have been enjoying Noel Battle and Roisin Broderick on anglo and harmonica recently (Up and About in the Morning) so it's nice to hear some fine Irish music on English/Anglish and harmonica (+ fiddle of course). Lovely clip, Henrik. To sample Up and About: https://soundcloud.com/www-tradconnect-com/noel-battle-roisin-broderick

This is quite impressive, she plays an English? Most of English players I've seen playing Irish music usually don't use bellow change at all or not much... but listening to Roisin playing I would be very surprised if she doesn't use bellow change, honestly if I didn't know I'd think she's playing an Anglo.

[[[This is quite impressive, she plays an English? Most of English players I've seen playing Irish music usually don't use bellow change at all or not much... but listening to Roisin playing I would be very surprised if she doesn't use bellow change, honestly if I didn't know I'd think she's playing an Anglo.]]]

She IS playing an Anglo....no? Checking her out around the web, it's Anglo. Lovely stuff.

Edited by ceemonster

[[[This is quite impressive, she plays an English? Most of English players I've seen playing Irish music usually don't use bellow change at all or not much... but listening to Roisin playing I would be very surprised if she doesn't use bellow change, honestly if I didn't know I'd think she's playing an Anglo.]]]

She IS playing an Anglo....no? Checking her out around the web, it's Anglo. Lovely stuff.

Oops! Sorry, I misread chas' post. I guess there's some bellow change in there then :wacko:

PS: It could have been worse, I could have said something like "Ah, I can hear she's playing an English, there's no swing and no bellow change" :ph34r:

Edited by Azalin

Oops! Sorry, I misread chas' post. I guess there's some bellow change in there then :wacko:

PS: It could have been worse, I could have said something like "Ah, I can hear she's playing an English, there's no swing and no bellow change" :ph34r:

Yes, sorry, my post got a bit dense! My mention of English/Anglish was in reference to Henrik's clip.