Jump to content


Travel Insurance For Concertinas

travel insurance concertina europe

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jake Middleton-Metcalfe

Jake Middleton-Metcalfe

    Chatty concertinist

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wolverton, Milton Keynes

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:39 PM



I am in the UK and travelling to Europe soon on a holiday and am considering insuring my concertina for the duration of the holiday. 


Has anyone in the UK had any experience with this? Could someone possibly recommend an insurance company?


Best wishes,


Edited by Jake of Hertford, 19 July 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#2 Anglo-Irishman


    Heavyweight Boxer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1519 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Near Stuttgart, Germany

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:48 AM

I've planned a holiday trip in the opposite direction - Germany to Scotland - for August. It's a nautical holiday, so I'm taking my humble Stagi Anglo with me. Never thought about extra insurance - wouldn't it be covered by any luggage insurance?




#3 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich Norfolk UK

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:22 AM

I have taken my 'tinas to Germany  and France several times to folk dance festivals. I get 30 days cover on my house contents insurance that lets me do this as long as I am not a professional musician, likewise  for the SqueezEast Concertina Band and the value of individual items is less than £5000. IT is a premium contents cover though and costs a bit more than standard. It may pay to make some enquiries.



#4 Hereward


    Heavyweight Boxer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middlesex

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:25 AM

It probably is covered by luggage insurance but it would not be wise to actually put it in your checked-in luggage and, if carried by hand, it should be safe. Surely luggage insurance only covers the items whilst one is travelling and up to when it is handed over? Then you would need to insure it for when it is outside the airport.

#5 wayman


    Chatty concertinist

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Sheffield, UK

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:08 AM

This may be apples and oranges being that I'm in America, but I have a 'valuable personal property' insurance policy for my musical instruments. For instruments in the few-thousand-dollar range like my Morse concertinas and my Martin guitar, the insurance agency just accepts my personal appraisal. For the Jeffries, I got it appraised professionally and faxed the appraisal letter to my insurance company. I think I pay $100-200/year total for all the instruments (about $20,000 total appraised value for eight or ten itemized instruments?), and they're covered whether I'm home or traveling. I don't know whether the policy would have to change if I were using them professionally.


Lower-value possessions have just been included in my home-owners (or previously renters) insurance policies, whether I and the possessions are at my dwelling or elsewhere. I don't know where the line officially is between 'a normal possession' and 'valuable personal property'. My laptop costs more than my Pokerworks, but the laptop is just 'a normal possession' while the Pokerworks are also in my VPP policy. (But I added them as sort of an afterthought and maybe I didn't really need to.) 


Things may work entirely differently in the UK. I'm curious.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: travel, insurance, concertina, europe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users