Accordions

What I found most helpful was that PA encourages you to play bass runs...

No. It's not the PA itself that encourages those techniques, but certain established courses of study for the PA do. I've met plenty of PA players who play only oom-pah bass and are less versatile in their use of chords than the average melodeon player (IME), and many who claim that it makes no sense to even try to play a scale (or part of one) on a stradella bass.

What's lacking for the concertina is progressive insructional material to teach the techniques (both general and specific) which are so readily available for more mainstream instruments like PA, piano, and guitar. Learning these techniques on PA or some other instruments can greatly increase your musical abilities, but one can also "borrow" from the books what is useful on the concertina.

E.g., Pietro Valente -- mentioned here in another thread -- says he taught himself to play jazz on the English concertina by studying both right hand (melody and harmony) and left hand (chord) techniques in tutors for the PA, but applying those musical techniques directly to the EC. And a friend in New York studied with a jazz trombonist to learn improvisation on his baritone EC.

Some people are jealous they wasted time learning lesser music before they discoverd Irish Music :).

There's something lesser than ITM? :unsure: :lol:

....... (Parry and thrust! :D )

Well to paraphrase Churchill; there is nothing lesser than ITM... except for all other forms of music :D

...(Riposte B))

PA is making a comeback in Scottish and Northumbrian music too in the last few years. Typically it seems to be played by a younger generation eg. Shona Kipling (Northumberland), and the all girl group Dochas (from the Western Isles).

Just the last few years? At least in Scottish Country Dance music, the PA has been the dominant instrument for decades! In fact, a lot of bands have two or more PA players, one on lead and one on backup (plus often a piano player to boot). The fiddle is just starting to make serious inroads in the past 10 years or so....

:)

Steven

Well, I played the concertina first (english system) and went than to the accordion.

I´ll tell you why.

Coming from the organ I decided to take a little break. Getting to know the concertina was wonderful getting to know an instrument using reeds... Playing Irish and English tunes for quite a while I came across the the accordion. Meanwhile I play M3 - the possibility to play left and right hand like on a piano.

And guess what? It made me more sensitive to play the concertina in a matter of technique. Well, it sort of remained the same: the wind gives the heart to the instrument but the technique gives the opportunity to express it.

Christian

Guilty secrets time:

I belong to an amateur theatre [guilty secret one], and last year we scheduled "'Allo 'Allo".

The director wanted a strolling musician, but not the concertina - he wanted a "real accordian". :blink:

After exhausting all other possibilities, I dusted out my old Hohner Erica G/D [g.s. 2], and worked out a few pieces.

What really helped me was finding this website http://diato.org/tablat.htm with a load of good, but fairly easy button accordian arrangements.

I found I really enjoyed playing Erica again [g.s. 3], but since then she has been abandoned again for my concer(s).

[g.s. 4]

http://www.villanovaplayers.com/allo/rod.html#quote

(remember this is a publicity shot)

After exhausting all other possibilities, I dusted out my old Hohner Erica G/D [g.s. 2], and worked out a few pieces.

Rod

You're looking great on this foto:

rod.jpg

You would be a very good match with the real Yvette:

A%20-%20The%20Clinch.jpg

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW: in my opinion there's nothing wrong with playing diatonic instruments ;)

• 18 years later...