Loudness Of The Concertina

I bought an accordion and found it is too loud to play in my apartment building. I can't muffle it and it disturbs my entire floor.

Is the concertina quieter than the accordion?

Is there a concertina that can be made to play quietly?

Is there any other instrument similar to an accordion or concertina which is not so bloody loud all the time??

Is the concertina quieter than the accordion? Is there a concertina that can be made to play quietly Is there any other instrument similar to an accordion or concertina which is not so bloody loud all the time??

In essence, no - the sound of a steel-reeded concertina will cut through pretty much anything. :D

You can fit what are called baffles to them (essentially fitting a layer of fabric under each end to absorb some of the sound) - there's an article here, which, although it applies to Maccann Duet system concertinas, applies to any type of concertina: http://www.maccann-duet.com/baffles/index.htm

The other option would be to find a brass-reeded instrument - although you would be looking at a vintage instrument, they tend to be cheaper than steel-reeded instruments because fewer people want them. The brass reeds give a lovely and warm sound - and are considerably quieter than steel. I borrowed a brass-reeded Wheatstone English concertina a year or so back, and while it was too quiet to use for performance or group playing, it had a gorgeous tone.

Edited by stuart estell

Is there any other instrument similar to an accordion or concertina which is not so bloody loud all the time??
In essence, no - the sound of a steel-reeded concertina will cut through pretty much anything. :D

It should be possible to play a top-quality concertina quietly.

Any leakage or poor set to the reeds will make it more difficult to play quietly.

But the best concertina I ever had (sadly, stolen some years back) was a Wheatstone English that I could play either loud enough to be heard against any two accordions or so softly that it couldn't be heard on the far side of a quiet room.

Aside from quality and condition of the instrument, the player can make a huge difference. To play quietly, one has to play gently, and it does take fine control to do that consistently.

To play quietly, one has to play gently, and it does take fine control to do that consistently.

Indeed. But there would be little point in our friend having an instrument with a dynamic range like the instrument you described, if an average playing pressure makes too much noise. If you don't have the opportunity to exploit that dynamic range, it's not much fun having to play an instrument on tip-toe.

I experienced something like this in my past life as a tuba player; in similar circumstances I found it far, far better to shove a mute down the thing (which in terms of boxes would mean baffling or having a quieter instrument) and reduce the overall volume level - at least that way you still have a range of dynamics to play with. Much more musically satisfying than being forced to play at the lower extremities of the dynamic range all the time (I initially typed "being forced to play quietly" but realised that didn't really help my argument... :rolleyes: )

Edited by stuart estell

You've got all the information you need about concertinas from the previous posts.

If you are looking for a brass reeded English concertina..there's a very nice restored learner English on Ebay at the moment.Its being sold by a reputable dealer who is entirely trust worthy and will let you upgrade etc if you want to at some time.This would be a good concertina to start on for a relatively small amount of money ( for a concertina) and it will always be re-saleable.

G'Day all, I'm just new to your organization. Have just purchased a second Wheatstone English after foolishly selling my first one.

My work involves a lot of travel and living in rooms that are not always too well soundproofed. My solution has been to play with the instrument under the blankets. May seem a bit unusual but it gets over the problem of annoying the neighbours.

Another tactic that I have employed is to play in the bathroom. Many bathrooms have more solid walls that have better sound proof qualities and you have the added benefit of having all facilities at hand!

malcolm clapp mentions electric type midi concertinas with earphones for playing/practicing without disturbing the neighbours. Anyone have any more info about these? ( Mr Clapp mentions a previous thread but I can't see it.) Thanks.

You could try a man in Loughborough, Leicestershire, who is developing an electronic tina.I refrain from using the word concertina because it is not.

The name is,

Dave Onyons

01509 568375

I have heard it and it sounds quite good,English System with a wide range of sounds as you would expect from a midi system