Nordic tunes

SteveS

Having posted my first recording yesterday, I decided to post another.

So as to try and keep all of my recordings in one place, I thought a thread with the links would be a good idea.

Here is the link to the first upload: Polska efter kantor Göransson - and link to that thread.

And tonight's upload: Polska efter Pål Karl Persson - this tune is from Älvdalen, Dalarna, Sweden. Once more this was recorded playing for dancing.

Please feel free to comment on any related topic.

Edited by SteveS

Excellent work. I enjoy the sonic intertwining of the concertina and cello. The vast body of traditional Swedish music is a veritable treasure trove, no?

Andy.

Thanks Andy.

Yes there is a huge repertoire of some amazing melodies.

There is also much new research and newly discovered manuscripts coming to light.

Edited by SteveS

Another Swedish tune, this time from Norrland: a polska called simply 1867.

Not sure what the significance of the date is - but I suspect it may have something to do with the coming of the railway to Norrland.

Edited by SteveS

• 4 weeks later...

, Småland, Sweden

Recording was done on a phone camera so balance isn't that good.

This is a bridal polska that was written by Jonas Börjesson for a wedding in 1799.

Edited by SteveS

• 1 year later...

I've started a group on SoundCloud - Nordisk Folkmusik - feel free to contribute suitable recordings.

Great idea, Steve. I have joined it. I'll see what I can come up with and post a recording or two.

Same with me...

Best wishes - Wolf

Edit: Can't add the tunes I'd wanted to for the time being since soundcloud doesn't seem to remember... :unsure:

Edited by blue eyed sailor

I would hope that folks are collecting the "dots" for these pieces too. It is much more difficult, at least for me, to sift through what is available and discover the gems of Scandinavian music than it is to do so with the music from various Celtic regions.

Finnskogen ah yes...Livet ins Finnskogen as i recall (Life in the Finnish Woods is the usual translation). The source tune for "Molkingbird Hill." A great waltz. I don't have a concertina version handy. Anyone interested in a Hammered Dulcimer one? :)

Edited by cboody

The two tunes have been added now (even received e-mail notification for that); did you have to wait for approval too, Chris? I don't recall this having been the case with my contributing to another group some months ago.

Edit to add: I believe I've got it now, this is a "moderated" group (as opposed to the other one).

Edited by blue eyed sailor

while looking at scandinavian folk-music resources on the web i came across a kickstarter for the two fiddlers whose music web site i've linked below. they apparently went to a folk music school in sweden for one year funded partly by a kickstarter effort whose donors received among other things a pledge to a tunebook of scandinavian folk learned during the year away, which tunebook is now for sale in a "regular" sense on their site, with an audio cd or tune download or something. i might grab it, along with one or two of the cds listed here as well. the samples are lovely...

http://lydia-andrea.com/

the tunebook is called "trip to tobo" if you scroll down through the "recordings" page:'

http://lydia-andrea.com/recordings/

They attended this Swedish folk school. I guess it's for nyckelharpa and fiddle. it would be delish if they had the same program for accordion and concertina as well...

Eric Sahlström Institute

Edited by ceemonster