commando trad

New out .... Commando Trad 5 (the rest are on youtube already.

Idea : Invade a public space and PLAY (and dance)!

Wish I could get that together here - I know a couple of great spaces to try.

(concertina up on a balcony at ~ 2:30 and 4:10 and probaly more places - one of own members in fact)

Chris

Ps If you want to try this around Manchester (UK) I reckon the University's new Turing Building to be the place.

I could smuggle a group into the observatory ... but the acoustics are rubbish, and alas there's no way I could get a group onto the telscope itself!

Edited by spindizzy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris

And I thought I was pretty good at finding hidden concertinas in videos. You got me beat by a mile. I must be getting old. :lol:

Nice find, but I don't recognize him or the concertina.

I think I'll go practice and see if I can find Where's Waldo now.

Thanks

Leo B)

Edited by Leo

Hi Chris

And I thought I was pretty good at finding hidden concertinas in videos. You got me beat by a mile. I must be getting old. :lol:

Thanks

Leo B)

:D I wasn't watching for the concertina, I just thought it was a good clip, but the list of players at the end had a concertina (listed by a cnet name that I recognized) so I took it as a challenge! Here's the culprit

Hint: look for a long shot up to a balcony, and a metal-ended box.

Just saw this video today, mentioned in someone's facebook posting.

We're just returned from a week in Quebec, and I guess viewing videos helps with the withdrawal

I, too, was pleased to see the concertina, and the credits list lildogturpy-- a name I recognize from this forum-- as a participant, so I assume it is he playing the english concertina.

Looks like great fun, would like to do something similar here.

I spotted this and was going to post it, Chris, but you beat me to it. The Commandos have posted other videos, but this is the best one, in my opinion and features C.net member lildogturpy, seen very briefly, on a balcony, playing his Edeophone English. I love the spontaneity of the whole event. It's now got a big mention among some of the folkies on Facebook, with an idea to re-creating something similar somewhere here in England, sometime. Trafalgar Square, has been one suggestion put forward as a venue. But if you are thinking of participating, you'll need to think up your commando name first!

Chris

I spotted this and was going to post it, Chris, but you beat me to it. The Commandos have posted other videos, but this is the best one, in my opinion and features C.net member lildogturpy, seen very briefly, on a balcony, playing his Edeophone English. I love the spontaneity of the whole event. It's now got a big mention among some of the folkies on Facebook, with an idea to re-creating something similar somewhere here in England, sometime. Trafalgar Square, has been one suggestion put forward as a venue. But if you are thinking of participating, you'll need to think up your commando name first!

Chris

lol1 Wow that's so cool

Hint: look for a long shot up to a balcony, and a metal-ended box.

Fun tunes and a good time, much better than most in-joke flash mob stuff. See the concertina just a bit after 2:30:

New out .... Commando Trad 5 (the rest are on youtube already.

Idea : Invade a public space and PLAY (and dance)!

Great fun, but I'm not too happy about the "commando" label.

Makes it sound like an assault, not something to enjoy. B)

This escalated into a fearsome debate on the Session recently (one of the other ideas on this theme call themselves Celtic Guerillas).

I agree with your point (though not enough to miss an enjoyable looking event and set of tunes :))

Maybe we can think of something better!

Ooops, I thought it meant they weren't wearing underwear.

Ooops, I thought it meant they weren't wearing underwear.

Aaargh... now I've got coffee all over the keyboard!:lol:

I confess, that is me up on the balcony. Playing an English, wheatstone Aeola, metal ended extended treble. The commando trad is a great idea. My favourite so far is number 3 I think, where they compiled video people took of themselves playing along with a radio interview on New Year's day. I am also seen fleetingly in Commando Trad 2 in a black sweater with coloured stars. There is another English concertina player in Commando Trad two, but I can't remember his name. The balcony I was standing on felt a little shakey and I was glad I wasn't one of the dancers on the other balconies. It's all in a good cause, to get traditional quebecois music out there :-)