Sessions In London

A bunch of years ago I attended the great session at The George in London with c.net's Alan Day, and had a wonderful time.

I'll be back in London, st. Alban's and Winchester in late June / early July, touring with my Morris dance group, and I'm wondering: is the George session still alive, and if so, when?

Are there are other fun sessions in these areas that I might attend? Mostly interested in English and French, not Irish.

Thanks!

Hallo Jim

Chris Shaw runs the George was 1st Monday in the Month.

He is on Facebook it may be worth sending him a message.

Any problems come back to me.

Have a great time.

Al

I have also (twice) had a good time at a Sunday afternoon session (the day before The George) at the Horseshoe Inn, in the same area (near London Bridge and “The Shard.” Never ran into anyone from concertina.net there, but several from the Morris Dance Discussion List. See http://www.englishfolkinfo.org.uk/borough/borosess.html

• 3 weeks later...

It's not in the Lord Hood anymore, the pub closed.

It's now in the Star and Garter on the old Woolwich Road, just upstream from the naval college.

It's a great session, and the great Anglo concertina players Bill Dudley and Sarah Crofts are usually there.

Also some great fiddlers including the world famous John Offord :-)

It gets going about 8:30 on every Tuesday.

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, Ken_Coles said:

Reviving this thread to ask a similar question - I'll be round London the first week of June and will have my eyes and ears open for chances to meet up!

Ken

First Sunday (so, the 3rd of June this year) at the Horseshoe, from noon to three or so. This session had maybe half a dozen concertinas of all systems, plus me and Jim Besser, last June. Very friendly and welcoming, great tunes (if you like English tunes!).

Edited by wayman

13 hours ago, wayman said:

First Sunday (so, the 3rd of June this year) at the Horseshoe, from noon to three or so. This session had maybe half a dozen concertinas of all systems, plus me and Jim Besser, last June. Very friendly and welcoming, great tunes (if you like English tunes!).

It was a fine session indeed, as was Chris Shaw's the following evening at The George.  Wish I was going again this year.