Dc/baltimore/richmond Area Semi-Annual Squeeze-In

A reminder: Sunday, Dec. 14 is our next Dc/Baltimore (and beyond) area Squeeze In. 2-6 PM. All genres, all levels of experience. This is an inclusive, friendly gathering. You can lead tunes, join in robustly, or play quietly in a corner; all are welcome, including absolute beginners. All kinds of squeezeboxes are welcome; one of these days we may even get a bandoneon.

As always, we'll do a mix of actual jamming - ie no dots - and reading from notation. We'll do some easy tunes and some challenging ones.

Here's an initial selection of tunes we might want to play. They're in a Dropbox folder; I'd prefer that if you like playing from notation, you print your own copies (last time, I printed so many my printer ran out of toner!).

Feel free to contribute additional tunes; send them to me and I'll add them to Dropbox. And of course we'll be doing an equal amount of seat-of-the-pants jamming.

Also feel free to bring some snacks and drinks, but this isn't mandatory.

For directions ping me.

Edited by Randy Stein

These are fun events. We generally have between 12 and 25 English, Anglo and duet concertinists, piano and button accordionists and a few other hardy souls playing rhythm instruments. All levels are welcome, and we're open to every kind of music. If you're anywhere near Washington, PM me for directions.

I would absolutely love to be there - but it's a bit far ! I made the NESI one year and very much hope to get back there

but your gathering sounds interesting and very inclusive . I Have had my dose of USA concertina, however, this year since one talented Mr Jody Kruskall has recently spent four days staying with me. we played together at one of his gigs and enjoyed two immense sessions with other leading west country musicians.Mick Bramich - author of two of the best-selling manuals on how to play anglo, was at one. At another- in my local pub - Jody and I played along to "Canadee-io" with none other than folk legend Nic Jones, who lives a few doors away from me. All in all, some superb music.At one of the sessions there was a good mix of English, anglo, duet and melodeon , playing everything from Irish jigs and reels, to Cajun and French.Breton, old English country dance tunes... and a good sprinkling of jazz.Bog thanks, by the way, to Concertina/net...it is from here that I learned a stonking old timey tune "Stumptail Dog" fron one of Jody's Tune of the Month. A couple of other Devon musicians have picked it up from me- and Jody was astounded, when in the middle of an old timey set, we all launched into it, with Jody cottoning on in a split-second. He said it was a tune that is not even played around that much in old timey sessions.When he and I played togeher at Bodmin Folk Club I sang "I'mn using my bible as a road map", then tacked " Waiting for the Feds" and "Stumptail Dog" on the end.

Some real shit-kicking music going on there !!

"Let the music keep your spirits high"

I would absolutely love to be there - but it's a bit far ! I made the NESI one year and very much hope to get back there

but your gathering sounds interesting and very inclusive . I Have had my dose of USA concertina, however, this year since one talented Mr Jody Kruskall has recently spent four days staying with me. we played together at one of his gigs and enjoyed two immense sessions with other leading west country musicians.Mick Bramich - author of two of the best-selling manuals on how to play anglo, was at one. At another- in my local pub - Jody and I played along to "Canadee-io" with none other than folk legend Nic Jones, who lives a few doors away from me. All in all, some superb music.At one of the sessions there was a good mix of English, anglo, duet and melodeon , playing everything from Irish jigs and reels, to Cajun and French.Breton, old English country dance tunes... and a good sprinkling of jazz.Bog thanks, by the way, to Concertina/net...it is from here that I learned a stonking old timey tune "Stumptail Dog" fron one of Jody's Tune of the Month. A couple of other Devon musicians have picked it up from me- and Jody was astounded, when in the middle of an old timey set, we all launched into it, with Jody cottoning on in a split-second. He said it was a tune that is not even played around that much in old timey sessions.When he and I played togeher at Bodmin Folk Club I sang "I'mn using my bible as a road map", then tacked " Waiting for the Feds" and "Stumptail Dog" on the end.

Some real shit-kicking music going on there !!

"Let the music keep your spirits high"

Wish you could join us!

Jody's playing is always amazing, but I particularly like his approach to oldtime. Nobody does it like him.

Just got back to the US a little bit ago, back in DC for a few weeks. so this lines up great for me. I just got my Beaumont Duet back from the conservatory buddy who was babysitting it. If anyone's been wanting to try out a Buttonbox-made Duet, hit me up when I arrive.

I'll print out some pages of a Sacred Harp/Shape Note tune (still need to decide which one) and will bring that along for folks.

Edited by MatthewVanitas

Just got back to the US a little bit ago, back in DC for a few weeks. so this lines up great for me. I just got my Beaumont Duet back from the conservatory buddy who was babysitting it. If anyone's been wanting to try out a Buttonbox-made Duet, hit me up when I arrive.

I'll print out some pages of a Sacred Harp/Shape Note tune (still need to decide which one) and will bring that along for folks.

We'll be glad to see you!