Work in Progress Duet Style

Dirge

If Wendy and Randy are brave enough to post unfinished pieces then I can too. I've been thinking about bouncing this one off everyone for ages because I'm curious to see what the reaction is.

debussy.mp3

It's a piano arrangement of the orchestral piece by an Australian.

I've tried this on a few people whose opinions I respect and it seems to polarise them. Some just think it's wrong, some really liked it. I started practicing it on the principle that it wouldn't work but it would be a superb exercise to try, and , as far as I'm concerned, it came magically right most unexpectedly.

I really love playing it.

Wodjerfink?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the piece. You don't say what it is called. That said, I liked it and your playing. Very gentle. I think it works. Well done. Makes a change from the roar of a 60 degree OHV JAP! I can also imagine it being played on a clarinet and working well.

Chris

Sorry. It's Prelude De L'apres midi d'un faune by Debussy. It's supposed to be an 'impressionist' picture of a faun (the half man half goat type) happily scurrying about his business in the secret sunlit woods. 'Sunlit' is a big part of it I reckon, and the shimmer of the concertina seems to suit that to me.

I'm glad you liked it, Randy, Chris. Thank you.

(Matchless sv in my case, Chris, but it still makes a racket flat out up the hill to home; and the solo is originally scored for flute, so you're close there too)

I don't know the piece. You don't say what it is called. That said, I liked it and your playing. Very gentle. I think it works. Well done. Makes a change from the roar of a 60 degree OHV JAP! I can also imagine it being played on a clarinet and working well.

Chris

Sorry. It's Prelude De L'apres midi d'un faune by Debussy. It's supposed to be an 'impressionist' picture of a faun (the half man half goat type) happily scurrying about his business in the secret sunlit woods. 'Sunlit' is a big part of it I reckon, and the shimmer of the concertina seems to suit that to me.

I'm glad you liked it, Randy, Chris. Thank you.

(Matchless sv in my case, Chris, but it still makes a racket flat out up the hill to home; and the solo is originally scored for flute, so you're close there too)

One of my favorite Debussy pieces. I have attached the youtube link of the London Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Leopold Stowkoski. Years ago I attempted Gollywogs Cakewalk as a piece for recital. Fun to play but I could never translate it into an unaccompanied piece .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5A4CkUAazI

rss

.....and the solo is originally scored for flute, so you're close there too)

I have discovered that the original piece, which lasts ten minutes, was scored for three flutes, two oboes, cor anglais, two clarinets, two bassoons, four horns, two harps, two crotales and strings. But what is a crotale?

Chris

If Wendy and Randy are brave enough to post unfinished pieces then I can too. I've been thinking about bouncing this one off everyone for ages because I'm curious to see what the reaction is.

debussy.mp3

I've tried this on a few people whose opinions I respect and it seems to polarise them. Some just think it's wrong, some really liked it. I started practicing it on the principle that it wouldn't work but it would be a superb exercise to try, and , as far as I'm concerned, it came magically right most unexpectedly.

Wodjerfink?

Wow!

You beat me. Now I want a Duet. Very interesting how concertina voice fell right into the music. Your playing is good. Excellent dynamics, great rhythm. I guess you were right about the Duet all the way. Whoever plays English, drop it. It's like those PA players who want to enter competitions, had to change to CBA to have a chance.

Wow!!!!!

Having said all that, I didn't like it. (just kidding).

Thanks.

Inspired by this, here is my contribution. A little longish, I might say. Some reeds need tweaking, I only noticed it on recording. Arrangement by Randy Stein: Stormy Weather.

Edited by m3838

Well some great playing here by three of our members.

Dirge clearly shows here what can be achieved on the Duet, now do you believe me when I gave you a future prediction for this instrument.

Wonderful playing by Randy and M3838 playing Stormy Weather on English , just lovely.

Where were you two when I was compiling English International?

Dirge has of course more in the pipeline and along with others will cause a big rush on this lovely instrument.

Al

debussy.mp3

Wodjerfink?

Wow!

You beat me. Now I want a Duet. Very interesting how concertina voice fell right into the music. Your playing is good. Excellent dynamics, great rhythm. I guess you were right about the Duet all the way. Whoever plays English, drop it. It's like those PA players who want to enter competitions, had to change to CBA to have a chance.

Wow!!!!!

Having said all that, I didn't like it. (just kidding).

Thanks.

Inspired by this, here is my contribution. A little longish, I might say. Some reeds need tweaking, I only noticed it on recording. Arrangement by Randy Stein: Stormy Weather.

Wonderful!.

Once again I am honored by your playing. I have another piece to send you if you like.

rss

Hi Dirge.

Well impressive....But one slight criticism.

Let it stew in your mind for a few months. I assume you were relying on music to play from?

Let this marvellous tune (that I've loved all my life....Debussy...Top Bloke!) seep into your soul.

Then you will have an astounding performance.

Play it with your eyes shut, and your heart open!

Jolly nice though. I wouldn't have attempted it!!

Regards Ralphie

Wow!

Wow!!!!!

This took the words right out of my mouth! Except that I already have a duet - all I have to do is learn to play it like that! unsure.gif

What struck me was that it's more alive, it breathes more intensely than similar music I've heard on English. I'm quite sure the handstraps (as well as the layout) have something to do with it.

Great piece!

Cheers,

John

Thanks everyone, very kind. (and very gratifying)

Ralphie's absolutely right, it will get better as I have to rely on the music less. It was offered warts and all. Those jerky parallel thirds right at the end need serious work, for starters, and various lurches as I go for big chords will smooth out with time too. The last 5% of polish takes five times as long as the rest, I find.

I've been hammering on my Elise now for a couple of months and can now play Twinkle Twinkle quite well and have moved on to some other songs. The more time I spend with it, the more interested I am in it. Thanks for sharing all the tunes, even without the polish they still sound great and give me something to strive for. Keep posting!