Theme Of The Month For June, 2015: Waltzes

Jim Besser

I considered several pretty elaborate themes for June, but then I thought: why not just keep it simple?

So simple it is - and hopefully lots of fun.

Let’s hear some of your favorite waltzes: modern waltzes, traditional waltzes, waltzes from the classical repertoire, Eastern European waltzes…. you get the picture.

It’s perfectly fine to record and post commonly played tunes - I’m betting we’ll get at least one Fanny Power and Star of the County Down. Lovely tunes.

But it would also be fun to share some obscure waltzes, waltzes indigenous to your part of the world or waltzes written by people you know, maybe even a waltz you wrote yourself. Why not? Mozart had to start somewhere.

What are you waiting for? Get moving - in 3/4 time!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jim, lovely choice once again!

Coincidentally I revisited and re-recorded (and hopefully improved) a waltz song from my repertoire just yesterday, putting it aside its precursor. However, this is a much better place for

Dat Du Min Leevsten Büst (2)

I might be playing it more as an Austrian "Ländler", but I reckon this would be close enough too.

Best wishes - Wolf

Hi Jim, lovely choice once again!

Coincidentally I revisited and re-recorded (and hopefully improved) a waltz song from my repertoire just yesterday, putting it aside its precursor. However, this is a much better place for

Dat Du Min Leevsten Büst (2)

I might be playing it more as an Austrian "Ländler", but I reckon this would be close enough too.

Best wishes - Wolf

VEry nice, a good start to the month's theme!

I thought I would take this opportunity to resurrect an old waltz that I wrote for this site years ago.The lack of chords was on purpose as I hoped it would generate a mass band recording it.Sadly it didn't happen but a few players liked the tune.

The Connet Waltz (Concertina net).

I would really appreciate at least one player having a stab at it.

Ta

Al

the connet waltz.mp3

I thought I would take this opportunity to resurrect an old waltz that I wrote for this site years ago.The lack of chords was on purpose as I hoped it would generate a mass band recording it.Sadly it didn't happen but a few players liked the tune.

The Connet Waltz (Concertina net).

I would really appreciate at least one player having a stab at it.

Ta

Al

I remember this from years ago. I'll put it on my list to relearn it before the end of the month!

Here's the lovely waltz Candles in the Dark, by Jonathan Jensen, a bassist with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and pianist for various English country dance and contra dance groups. I believe there is a popular English country dance that goes with the tune. I've played this in both my current bands, but never solo, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

Edited by Jim Besser

Here's the lovely waltz Candles in the Dark, by Jonathan Jensen, a bassist with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and pianist for various English country dance and contra dance groups. I believe there is a popular English country dance that goes with the tune. I've played this in both my current bands, but never solo, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

Gorgeous tune and great playing. They've all been great so far - and such a variety!

Tempting to post a few this month. Here are a couple of English waltzes: Orange in Bloom, aka the Sherborne Waltz, (thus cleverly catching last month's theme as well ;) ) and Lady Cholmondley's (pronounced "Chumley's", I presume) from the manuscript of Lincolnshire paper-maker Joshua Gibbons, played on Crane duet.

I love playing waltzes, and shall try to ration myself this month. But here's one I've known most of my life that I thought might sit well on the concertina:

http://youtu.be/Y09YfCt5y4U

It's most often called "My Own House Waltz" in American old-time music circles, though it has other names as well, particularly in Scotland, where I believe it originated. Appropriately, I recorded it in my own house.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

I love playing waltzes, and shall try to ration myself this month. But here's one I've known most of my life that I thought might sit well on the concertina:

http://youtu.be/Y09YfCt5y4U

Jeeze, that sounds so much like another waltz I know...can't put my finger on it. Or maybe the same waltz with a different name. It's gonna drive me crazy until I figure it out.

And no need to ration your contributions; the more tunes here, the better!

Edited by Jim Besser

Jeeze, that sounds so much like another waltz I know...can't put my finger on it. Or maybe the same waltz with a different name.

Any useful information here?

http://tunearch.org/wiki/Annotation:My_Own_House

I've only ever known it as "My Own House," and I probably learned it from the Highwoods, though I've heard an awful lot of versions in the years since.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Jeeze, that sounds so much like another waltz I know...can't put my finger on it. Or maybe the same waltz with a different name.

Any useful information here?

http://tunearch.org/wiki/Annotation:My_Own_House

I've only ever known it as "My Own House," and I probably learned it from the Highwoods, though I've heard an awful lot of versions in the years since.

Nope. It'll come to me.

I learned a lot of tunes from Highwoods over the years!

Whilst working on brightening my "Jamie Allen / Vedder Michel" thing (and before getting round to listening to these lots of new waltzes) I decided to repost one of mine (which I always wanted to improve on but didn't spare time as yet):

Tennessy Waltz

New contrib(s) (from my side too) to follow...

I first heard this song last year at a workshop given by Pascal Gemme of the Quebecois group Genticorum . He said it was from an animated documentary called Crac! by Frederic Back, which chronicles the history of Quebec through the eyes of a rocking chair. The soundtrack was done by the group Le Reve du Diable and the film won an Oscar in the 80s

Here is the film- entire soundtrack is traditional Quebecois music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsWU-nksQWA

And here is my meager attempt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2z8mprBtlA

Whilst working on brightening my "Jamie Allen / Vedder Michel" thing (and before getting round to listening to these lots of new waltzes) I decided to repost one of mine (which I always wanted to improve on but didn't spare time as yet):

Tennessy Waltz

New contrib(s) (from my side too) to follow...

Love the combination of tunes Wolf, good upbeat music to get my day going!