composer/songwriters:Is there a tina shanty to be got out of this stor

Kautilya

Ahoy, Shipmates!

Here is the initial recording of "The Portsmouth Stowaway"! (MP3 format)

Disclaimers:

1. This is the first Crane piece I've "released" in semi-public

2. I have a bad cold, which impairs the quality of the vocals - but that's in keeping with the cold, foggy weather in the song B) . I didn't want to keep you in suspense any longer, so I'll offer this, and do a decent remake as soon as my throat is clear again (and the accompaniment is more fluent!).

Any critique is welcome - scope and style of accompaniment, tempo, phrasing, etc. Don't consider this version as definitive - any other arrangements are welcome.

Cheers,

John

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahoy, Shipmates!

Here is the initial recording of "The Portsmouth Stowaway"! (MP3 format)

Disclaimers:

1. This is the first Crane piece I've "released" in semi-public

2. I have a bad cold, which impairs the quality of the vocals - but that's in keeping with the cold, foggy weather in the song B) . I didn't want to keep you in suspense any longer, so I'll offer this, and do a decent remake as soon as my throat is clear again (and the accompaniment is more fluent!).

Any critique is welcome - scope and style of accompaniment, tempo, phrasing, etc. Don't consider this version as definitive - any other arrangements are welcome.

Cheers,

John

Congrats!!!! The inspiratorcreatormanagement is proud of you!

For your cold (which gives your voice quite a nice yxes tone actually) - may one suggest you revert to hot toddy for your body -- tea will not help you while on the job!

I reckon you could gain some effect if you speed up the music in the middle .... as the action speeds up so to say.... and then slow down again after the Capn comes on the scene.

I wonder if there is any way of working a hint into the title that the stowaway is a lady...... one tends to think (even if it is not PC today :rolleyes: ) of a stowaway usually being a man....

I reckon you could gain some effect if you speed up the music in the middle .... as the action speeds up so to say.... and then slow down again after the Capn comes on the scene.

I thought that comment would come!

Yes, the fog-bound introduction should, I feel, be slow, á la Vivaldi "Autumn". I would speed up at "But young Johnny came by ...", then - maybe - slow down again, but with emphasis, at "But after a fortnight ..."

I wonder if there is any way of working a hint into the title that the stowaway is a lady...... one tends to think (even if it is not PC today :rolleyes: ) of a stowaway usually being a man....

What about "The Lass in the Lifeboat"? Although that sounds more like a castaway than a stowaway! :huh:

Glad the inspiratorcreatormanagement liked it! Thanks for the kind words about the sick voice, but some of the lines peter (teeter) out pathetically. Make the Buena Vista Social Club sound like a boy group! :D

Cheers,

John

I thought that comment would come!

Yes, the fog-bound introduction should, I feel, be slow, á la Vivaldi "Autumn". I would speed up at "But young Johnny came by ...", then - maybe - slow down again, but with emphasis, at "But after a fortnight ..."

What about "The Lass in the Lifeboat"? Although that sounds more like a castaway than a stowaway! :huh:

Glad the inspiratorcreatormanagement liked it! Thanks for the kind words about the sick voice, but some of the lines peter (teeter) out pathetically. Make the Buena Vista Social Club sound like a boy group! :D

Cheers,

John

The Stowaway Lass from Portsmouth

Portsmouth's Stowaway Lass

The Lass who stowed away at Portsmouth

The Lasst :P ferry from Portsmouth (sorry - could not resist that one) and of course the Lasst Laugh in the Lifeboat.

She's a stowaway from Portsmouth

She was a stowaway from Portsmouth

She's the stowaway from Portsmouth

She stowed away at Portsmouth Bay

The Fair Portsmouth Stowaway

Portsmouth's Fair Stowaway

Portsmouth's (Bremen's, Hamburgs,Helsinborg's, Malmö's, Liverpool's, Birkenhead's, Mersey's, Staten;s, Hong Kong's, Woolwich's, Skye's, etc etc) Fair Stowaway

He stowed her away at Portsmouth

(There is no literary law against a long title, (tho shorter and sharper the better), and bear in mind one toon originally suggested for the words aint short (I loved ) Rwy'n Caru'r Ferch o Blwyf Penderyn - The Maid From The Parish Of Penderyn.

The Fair Portsmouth Stowaway

... which should IMO do enough to avoid (though actually saying nothing against it) the impression of a male passenger B)

(sorry for overlooking that this suggestion already has been made :o - so may this be counted as my vote for that one)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Folks,

"The Fair Portsmouth Stowaway" gets my vote too!

Cheers,

John

The simple maid from ......

She were [not woz!]a simple stowaway from ....

She were a gormless stowaway from....

The naiive maid from....

The vacuous lass from .....

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping to try a piano flute version with a few tweaks to match the Penderyn tune, at mulled wine and songs bash round at the neighbours. Where's that public German version??!!

In the meantime go and see, for some creative holiday effort: Is there a Welsh mountain song/toon in this Roc? A la Lambton Worm...

Hoping to try a piano flute version with a few tweaks to match the Penderyn tune, at mulled wine and songs bash round at the neighbours. Where's that public German version??!!

In the meantime go and see, for some creative holiday effort: Is there a Welsh mountain song/toon in this Roc? A la Lambton Worm...

Failure - the mulled wine completely took over, and the concertina player in the corner must have been on vodka as all he managed to play was the Soviet Anthem and then he went on to his whistle (playing, not as a straw in his bottle of Stolichnaya!)