New Member Introduction

Hello all,

I've been encouraged to introduce myself, so here goes. :)

I started out as a whistle player, for about four years now. I bought my anglo concertina about a year and a half ago, and joined the board at some point but didn't say much. I'm American but recently moved to London for university, so I'll be here till at least January 2005. I have a 30-button C/G box and would love to find instruction in London - I haven't found anything yet but I won't believe that there's no one teaching here... I did go to the Return to Camden Town Irish festival in October, and attended their concertina workshop, but discovered that they had imported their instructor from somewhere else in England.

I have been to three workshop-weeks in Ireland in 2003 - Willie Clancy (with Michelle O'Sullivan), Feakle (with Mary MacNamara, I love her style), and Kilrush (I can't remember, I was pretty burned out by this point).

I've an interest in mini-concertinas and am seriously considering getting on Dipper's list for a special - I figure by the time my name comes up, I'll have a job and some money to pay for it. If you've got experience with Dipper concertinas I'd love to hear from you. If you live anywhere near London I'd love to hear from you (and meet with you, though I don't have a car). Actually, I'd love to hear from just about anyone - at the moment I'm the lone concertina in my circles of friends.

And finally - I apologise for having nearly every sentence begin with the word "I". :D

Hi again,

I forgot to say this in our recent exchange of emails, but the Musical Traditions site lists sessions all over the place, including London. While you're here, treat yourself, go native and go to a couple of English music sessions, they are covered here as well. English music is one of the least well-known in the world outside England - and not all that well-known here. But it is as least as enjoyable and playable as the other traditions.

Chris