Music From The Mountain, David Paton

I just had to share a discovery. It was our honor to have Skip Gorman here at the college today doing his cowboy show (very, very good educator and musician). Before he left he gave me a copy of David Paton's CD "Music from the Mountain" on Folk-Legacy Records.

Man is David's EC playing wonderful, classy and clean. The whole CD is well done and the ensemble of musicians top notch. True, I have been living in the "Classical" realm for more than 20 years and am ignorant of what's been shakinn' here in the concertina land (sounds like a theme park), but I recommend this beautiful and diverse recording if the word on this cat ain't already out. The recording was done in 1993 and Skip gave me his copy.

Does anyone else know of David and has he done any other recordings?

Thanks Jim! I'll do that. Want my own copy and get this one back to Skip. Listened to it again on the way home, very nice. He plays a mean hammered dulicmer as well. I certainly hope there have been other recording projects for this is 12 years ago and I'm sure there have been nice developments in his playing and outlook.

I have been enjoying Music from the Mountain for several years. Folk-Legacy put out another CD on which David Paton's playing is featured prominently. It's called All Hands Around (Irish music) and it's very nice as well. Also, David played on a Johnny Cunningham CD called Fair Warning. I especially enjoy - and try to emulate - his concertina solo on Waulkin' O' the Fauld.

Rand

Yes, one of the nicest cds around. I did't realize he was on Fair Warning as well! One thing that's remarkable about David is that he was born missing two fingers on one hand, yet that doesn't seem to slow his concertina playing down at all!

I've known his parents since I was 10. They were my first musical inspiration- as a band dropout, I thought I had given up my chances at a career in music. Then Sandy and Caroline came along and showed me what I could do- and here I am, tending the flames in my own way.

I've taken steps to acquire the mentioned CD's. Sounds like a lovely family. Skip praised David's playing to the heavens and he wasn't wrong. Music from the Mountain is just very well done. Can't wait to hear the others.

Just luck o' the draw Helen. All my records (I stopped collecting folk music in 1985 when I went off to be a "legit" singer) were ruined in a basement flood about ten years ago. I've had to re-collect what I could find.

Skip was here, we had some lunch, one thing led to another and he gave me David's CD. I feel like someone who has been in a comma awakened and has so much to discover.

Helen, you would love Skips yodelin'. As you are mastering singing I think it would be a good idea to yodel.

By the way, I keep meeting people who know the Paton family. Hammered Dulcimer player at session tonight knows them very well and that's got my head thinkin' on Allison. This great lady plays the hoo-ha out of that instrument and has done a number of compositions by Malcom Danglish for chorus and Hammered Dulcimer. Just tryin' ta cause trouble :) .

Fine, Jim, just fine. I WILL NOT go to New York State. Ever. I can get along without one state, after all there are plenty of others, if it means I can avoid singing. And especially avoiding double singing - Sing Sing.