Morris Tune

Kelteglow

Hi All. I am learning to play for a Morris team on a C/G Anglo. With the Upton Stick Dance in G at present I play just the melody.I would like to play Melody and the Harmony but it is played quite fast.Should I keep practising ? How do you play it? Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

I would usually play it in C, since it has a bit more scope for bass runs and doesn't sound quite so squeaky - the B part goes quite high if you're playing in G. However presumably you're playing with other musicians so a key change isn't an option.

It is quite possible to play it in G with LH chords, so I'd say keep practicing. But I'd also think about the speed - it shouldn't be too fast or both the tune and the dance will suffer.

Bob, check out the Albion Morris CD "Still Dancing After All These Years", where John Watcham is playing the tune in G on a C/G Anglo with melody and chords.

FYI, a little known fact is that the tune is actually called "The Twin Sisters", and was originally collected in the key of A from 85-year old Mr. Malon Hamilton of East Orange, Vermont. It was Maud Karpeles who suggested pairing the tune with the Upton-on-Severn dance back in an EFDSS article back in 1933.

Having said that, most of us just call it the Upton-on-Severn Stick Dance, and one of the more popular recordings of it is John Watcham playing it in the key of C on the "Electric Muse" and "Rattlebone & Ploughjack" albums.

Gary

Hi All. I am learning to play for a Morris team on a C/G Anglo. With the Upton Stick Dance in G at present I play just the melody.I would like to play Melody and the Harmony but it is played quite fast.Should I keep practising ? How do you play it? Bob

Sure, keep at it. It works fine in G, on a C/G. Here's a

of me playing it for the boys; the tune you want starts at the 20 second mark, but the Smithsonian edited it and included only the beginning and ending of the dance.

I like playing it high on the C/G because the sound really carries, and the chords work out fine. Playing in the C position means fewer chording options and less cutting power.

If you want a recording of the whole tune on a C/G let me know and I'll email it to you.

And it shouldn't be played very fast.

I'm also playing for the Northwest ladies in this clip.

Edited by Jim Besser

Sure, keep at it. It works fine in G, on a C/G. Here's a

of me playing it for the boys; the tune you want starts at the 20 second mark, but the Smithsonian edited it and included only the beginning and ending of the dance.

I like playing it high on the C/G because the sound really carries, and the chords work out fine. Playing in the C position means fewer chording options and less cutting power.

If you want a recording of the whole tune on a C/G let me know and I'll email it to you.

I'm also playing for the Northwest ladies in this clip.

I wish we played it that slowly at Woodchurch Jim, I might be able to keep up with it then!

Here's a

I wish we played it that slowly at Woodchurch Jim, I might be able to keep up with it then!

I couldn't see Tallship's link because I'm not on facebook, but I have no problem with Jim's tempo. Morris dancing shouldn't be fast. If you feel the need to play it fast, it must be that your guys aren't jumping high enough.

Thanks for your encouragement.I do'nt choose the key.I can play it just fine in C .Playing with me is another Anglo playing melody ,melodeon.guitar whistle bodhrans and drum.I will look out the Albion CD.The upton Stick Dance being a 6/8 tune I try to use um-Pa on the 1st ,3rd,4th and 6th beat.I often play just the melody but what are my other fingers going to do? Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

Thanks for your encouragement.I do'nt choose the key.I can play it just fine in C .Playing with me is another Anglo playing melody ,melodeon.guitar whistle bodhrans and drum.I will look out the Albion CD.The upton Stick Dance being a 6/8 tune I try to use um-Pa on the 1st ,3rd,4th and 6th beat.I often play just the melody but what are my other fingers going to do? Bob

PM me your email address and I'll record the tune - slowly - in G on the C/G. It's a great tune, and that's my favorite way to play it.

I've seen this dance danced faster than we do it - and slower. We're probably pretty close to the middle, in terms of speed.