Wtb> A Decent Anglo, Used Ok, At Or Below $150

Zach Condon

......Anyway about the melodeons, the may be diatonic tuned just like a harmonica but the two handed button layout of the concertina just makes more since to me. I God should find me worthy enough to bless me with a few extra dollars one of these days I just might get me a melodeon and try it out. I believe one should never put something down until one tries it. ....

Have a look here :)

http://info.melodeon.net/home

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went and did a Google search on the Melodeons and came upon this website that said he had a Hohner melodeon that was made by Stagi
AFAIK Stagi *has* made concertinas for Hohner (but not "Hohner's current D-40 model).
and then went on to say that Stagi made a lot of instruments including concertinas for many different companies around the world. Have you or anybody else here herd this before about Stagi?
I'm pretty sure that Stagi (actually now owned by Brunner Musica) only makes concertinas (as a brand name.... Brunner also makes piano benches).

I God should find me worthy enough to bless me with a few extra dollars one of these days I just might get me a melodeon and try it out.
For only $18 plus shipping you can try out one of these melodeons (they even have tremolo tuning).

-- Rich --

[ For only $18 plus shipping you can try out one of these melodeons (they even have tremolo tuning).

I started out on these "childrens" melodions, and they were a big help. They give you a sense of the push and pull and you can play a tune on them.

I reccomend them.

Richard

Beyond the sound (which I don't like) it seems that all you get with a button accordian is all of a one or two row concertina on the one side (this is especially pronounced on a c/g BA, less so with a b/c), and a couple of cords and bass notes on the other. I think you could get a Rochelle, Jack AND half of a Jackie for the cost of just one two-row BA, so I'm not getting the 'they're cheaper' argument.

[ For only $18 plus shipping you can try out one of these melodeons (they even have tremolo tuning).

I started out on these "childrens" melodions, and they were a big help. They give you a sense of the push and pull and you can play a tune on them.

I reccomend them.

Richard

Their quality has been dropping like an avalanche lately.

Other than that, you can make one workable one out of two. You just have to use another's bellows as extention, replace all the pads with leather and actually glue them, bend the keys to be leveled, pour wax (or plasticin) along every seam inside to seal it more or less - and you have interesting tool.

Beyond the sound (which I don't like) it seems that all you get with a button accordian is all of a one or two row concertina on the one side (this is especially pronounced on a c/g BA, less so with a b/c), and a couple of cords and bass notes on the other. I think you could get a Rochelle, Jack AND half of a Jackie for the cost of just one two-row BA, so I'm not getting the 'they're cheaper' argument.

$300 can give you used Hohner with Hohner reeds (be it Delicia), tuned and in order.

Rochelle, Jackie have Chinese made reeds, inferior in all aspects.

You compare top instruments and price/quality ratio begins to shift towards accordions untill there is no concertina around, and instruments are sold at $20 000.

Indeed, I just scored a minty vintage pokerwork on the bay for $150. There have been several mint-looking DBAs for sale there in recent weeks--albeit, most go for ~$250 or more. In addition to getting a high quality, good sounding and playing instrument for a fraction of the cost of a comparable concertina, there is nothing better for playing dances (than melodeon, that is).

Edited by catty