Wanted

tony

:D Having sold my Norman in G/D I am now in the market for a McCann duet.

I have tried the Hayden, Crane/Triumph, Anglo and am currently playing the English.

I sight read music notation and therefore play in whatever key the music is written in.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank's

I am now in the market for a McCann duet.

I have tried the Hayden, Crane/Triumph, Anglo and am currently playing the English.

Anyone got any ideas?

Piano accordion? Mandolin?

Seriously, I wonder why you haven't continued with the others (and whether you may yet abandon the English). Do you really think the situation will be different with the Maccann, and if so, why?

Have you tried other, non-concertina instruments? If so, what has been their fate? The fact that you're able to sight-read suggests that you have.

I learned on the Piano Accordion about fifty years ago, since then I have played:

Chromonica

Organ with two keyboards and pedals

Guitar

Trumpet

Claranet

Saxapnone

Trombone

Euhponium

Electronic keyboard

and others.

I currently have in my possession one English concertina, two guitars, and one keyboard, all of which I play from time to time. I am now retired you see so I have plenty of time on my hands to enjoy myself these days.

I played the brass and woodwind instruments at various times when I was in the Voluntary Band of the Royal Air Force. I served nine years with the colours.

Well, you did ask, anyway what,s it to you Jim?

With regard to the Hayden, nothing wrong with the system apart from the fact that the lefthand buttons were not aligned properly. The instrument was a Stagi which was big and heavy and the workmanship was awful.

Edited by tony

Well, you did ask, anyway what,s it to you Jim?

I did ask. In part from general interest, since I play at least somewhat on several instruments, including various concertinas. But also because you asked us for help, and I think that understanding more about the background to your request will make us more able to provide appropriate help.

With regard to the Hayden, nothing wrong with the system apart from the fact that the lefthand buttons were not aligned properly.  The instrument was a Stagi which was big and heavy and the workmanship was awful.

And the Crane? Since I have something of a preference among the duets for the Crane, I'm curious what there is about it that you found unsatisfactory.

Sorry Jim I didn't fully answer you question.

No the English will not go the same way. I play it EVERY day and have been doing for about three years now. Of all the instruments I have played I prefer the English concertina. What I am looking for is a small, portable instrument upon which I can play a melody with accompaniment.

Once I have tried the various concertina systems I shall best know which will suit me and which will best augment my English.

With regard to the Crane. I liked the system but am told the McCann was designed for speed, I did 'run out of fingers' on the right-hand. Once I have tried the McCann I am sure the choice will come down to Crane or McCann. Don't get me wrong, I play the Anglo fairly well but since I am somewhat lazy and can't be bothered to transpose the music to the home keys I prefer an instrument upon which I can play the music as it is written.

The Aeola I advertised here in december is still for sale.

Nils

I'll bet it's a very nice instrument but a little big for my purposes.

I think I would be happy with a 46 key or even a 57 key as the 57 key goes down to middle C on the right-hand. There would be no advantage, to me, with a 55 key.

Thanks for the thought

Rees Wesson has a Lachenal 46 key Mccann for sale here. Its said to be not in modern pitch, but that might not matter of you just want to see if the system suits you.

Theo

Rees Wesson has a Lachenal 46 key Mccann for sale here.  Its said to be not in modern pitch, but that might not matter of you just want to see if the system suits you.

Theo

Thanks Theo. I had seen that one but it is too much money considereing it has brass reeds and needs tuning. It would make it expensive, for a 46 key, after one has paid for restoration.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by tony

Thanks Theo.  I had seen that one but it is too much money considereing it has brass reeds and needs tuning.  It would make it expensive, for a 46 key, after one has paid for restoration.

Thanks anyway.

I agree! There is another one at The Hexham Violin Shop . Its a Wheatstone, with steel reeds, rosewood ends, and in nice condition, and also 46 keys. I can't remember ist serial number , but I think it dated to about 1922. I know its in modern pitch because I tuned it. Its not mentioned on the web site, but you can get contact details there.

I have no financial interest inthis instrument!

Theo

Edited by Theo

Check out this eBay listing.  "62-key" (61+air) Wheatstone Maccann.

Thanks Jim it looks like a nice instrument but I'm not sure about buying off e-bay. I have bought one concertina through e-bay but that was from Chris Algar and I was able to visit him to see the instrument and pay cash.

I noticed that too, and am wondering if it would be better than my 56 key Lachenal MacCann.

The seller repeatedly calls it a "D. Wheatstone", though it clearly shows "C. Wheatstone" on the handle. So, I was wondering if that was a cause for suspicion.

I noticed that too, and am wondering if it would be better than my 56 key Lachenal MacCann.

"Better" is, of course, a matter opinion. This will be larger and heavier than your Lachenal. It also has a wider range, most notably descending to middle C in the right hand, where I think your Lachenal's lowest RH note is the G above that. And looking at the pattern of the buttons, I think it goes down to A (lowest space in the bass clef) in the left hand.

The seller repeatedly calls it a "D. Wheatstone", though it clearly shows "C. Wheatstone" on the handle.  So, I was wondering if that was a cause for suspicion.

Suspicion that he isn't paying close attention to what he writes/types. Note that C and D are adjacent on the keyboard (and use the same finger, if you're an all-finger typist).

"Better" is, of course, a matter opinion.  This will be larger and heavier than your Lachenal.  It also has a wider range, most notably descending to middle C in the right hand, where I think your Lachenal's lowest RH note is the G above that.  And looking at the pattern of the buttons, I think it goes down to A (lowest space in the bass clef) in the left hand.

That agrees with the charts I have. Of course I don't mind a few more notes, but what I really need is better button-action.

The Lachenal takes more effort to press any of its buttons than my Tedrow or Edgley, or Stagi, and the Lachenal's buttons are brass and very thin, and almost pointed at the ends, so that occasionally my finger slides off the button instead of pressing it in. After the finger lifts up from a button, there is a slight delay for the button to return to its undepressed state. It's as if there is some friction between the brass button and the wooden fretwork, or between the button and its post. I was hoping that Wheatstones have a reputation for having better button action then Lachenals or maybe have buttons that are not so narrow and pointed or

that metal fretwork would not have this problem.

...what I really need is better button-action.

I was hoping that Wheatstones have a reputation for having better button action then Lachenals or maybe have buttons that are not so narrow and pointed or that metal fretwork would not have this problem.

Alex, I think your speculations about the cause of your button problems are off the mark. In particular, I wouldn't consider the sluggishness to be typical of Lachenal instruments in general, and I would expect it to be curable. Have you had yours looked at by a professional restorer?

As for your fingers slipping off the buttons, that should only happen if you're not striking straight down when you press the buttons. I recommend always striking straight down. I expect the Wheatstone buttons will be as small as those on the Lachenal, 4-5 mm in diameter, metal, with slightly rounded tops.

... what I really need is better button-action. 

The Lachenal takes more effort to press any of its buttons than my Tedrow or Edgley, or Stagi, and the Lachenal's buttons are brass and very thin, and almost pointed at the ends, so that occasionally my finger slides off the button instead of pressing it in.  After the finger lifts up from a button, there is a slight delay for the button to return to its undepressed state.  It's as if there is some friction between the brass button and the wooden fretwork, or between the button and its post.  I was hoping that Wheatstones have a reputation for having better button action then Lachenals or maybe have buttons that are not so narrow and pointed or

that metal fretwork would not have this problem.

Alex,

The springs in a Lachenal always need to be harder due to the "hook action" they used, whereby the spring not only keeps the pad closed, but also holds the lever in place against its pivot, whilst a Wheatstone-style riveted action can be sprung more lightly as the spring is only performing one task.

Another significant difference is that Wheatstone buttons are much lighter in weight, consisting of a wooden, or plastic, base with a thin metal cap, whereas Lachenal's are hollow metal with a metal crown, which means the Wheatstone buttons, as well as springing, are much easier on your fingers.

However, from your description I'm wondering if your Lachenal might have been modified and perhaps someone has added solid brass buttons to an instrument that once had bone ones ? For one thing metal buttons should always be bushed, not rubbing against the woodwork, for anther Lachenal's used nickel, not brass, and the ends were not "pointy".