Myers Pickups

RonnyB

I have the Myers feather for my mandolin. It sounds pretty good, but the output is extremely low. You definitely need a preamp with it. And feedback has been an issue with it too. All in all, it hasn't worked out very well for me so I'm looking for something else. But again, that's on a mandolin. YMMV

Mike

Ron,

It's a decent mic, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out if I were you, but understand what it is: it's an electret condenser mic with very low output. It has all the potential problems of a mic on stage - a condenser mic - including feedback. It sounds pretty good, but as I said, it definitely needs a preamp. I'd love to find the ideal solution, but there's no such thing. Everything is a compromise.

Best of luck.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hi Ron,

Did you pursue this? If so, how do you, or anyone else who's used the Feather 2, attach it to your concertina? The suction cups are too large to fit anywhere on the instrument and I've tried the other clips on the straps but they're not great there. I've tried contacting Myers via the support page twice over the last few weeks but no response.

Thanks,

Gorwel

Hi Gorwel yes I brought Feather 2 it was a bit of an effort to fit them so I made some stiff leather straps and fitted them to the screw that holds the thumb strap then attached the mic with the clips it worked but not really well I don't use the mic's any more .

good luck with your's Ron

I tried the Myers on string, wind, and reed instruments. Like others, I was not especially impressed. For most concertinas we have the "stereo" effect to consider if you are close-miking for playing in a session or band. You probably need two small mics, and if they are in really close such as directly on the instrument in some way, they may amplify action noise or specific (sometimes unwanted) overtones. For higher end concerts and recording , you can use  two really good microphones set up at a small distance from either end...not too far. This requires rehearsal and careful sound engineering.

You can also work with one really good mic set up in front of the concertina, and somewhat above it. The height can vary: for band work it probably needs to be right in front and close. Like a human listener standing or sitting in front of the player. This last option gives a very natural sound...ie what you actually hear if you are a nearby listener (but louder).

Concertinas often have unusual acoustic properties, and can sometimes sound louder further off.

Ultimately it depends on what you want, what you are using the instrument for. And, regrettably, what you are prepared to pay. There is a huge difference between the performance of average priced price mics and high end mics.

Robert (RJ)

Thanks both. Primarily, I was looking for a quick way of inputting at open-mic sessions where setting up mics is a bit of a pain. I don't really want to stick velcro on my concertina though so it looks like I'll be using the mics for something else. Disappointed that the maker hasn't responded to requests though.

Rather than sticking Velcro to a concertina, what about using the sew-on type and stitching it through the fretwork? No risk of damage to the finish.

Steve

Edited by Lofty