Can Anyone Help - Concertina Information?

Hello

I am from Australia, and would love to know about this concertina?

I have joined this forum as I have no idea about concertina's and would love to find out a few things about this one I have?

I would love to find out where it was possibly made? The make/ brand? Possible year it could be from? Even an approx value - this maybe hard as I am sure someone would need to look at it in person.

Any other relevant information would be great.

I don't know much about them and would love to get some information from people who do.

Anyone who could help, this would be much appreciated, Thankyou very much

Kind regards

post-12517-0-75202300-1493710868_thumb.jpg

post-12517-0-62758100-1493710881_thumb.jpg

post-12517-0-46497100-1493710894_thumb.jpg

post-12517-0-16213600-1493710903_thumb.jpg

post-12517-0-60018800-1493710911_thumb.jpg

post-12517-0-48051000-1493711248_thumb.png

Hi. Your concertina is a Lachenal Anglo model. The diagram next to the word English was their trade mark, it is a depiction of the reeds used to sound the notes. As an Anglo with three rows, it is more versatile. The age could be achieved approximately if you could read the number clearly.

Bone buttons were quite usual, guessing a price without visual inspection, inside and out, is not really possible.

Though hopefully some Australian player, there are quite a few, may be able to help you further.

Tutor books for the Anglo are readily available, and Youtube has many postings.

Hope you have a good adventure with it.

Les Branchett

Made by Lachenal & Co of London.

Unfortunately, the number is illegible, but will be found inside if you're game to take it apart. And even then, only an estimated age will be possible as the Lachenal records are long lost.

Hope this helps.

Hi. Your concertina is a Lachenal Anglo model. The diagram next to the word English was their trade mark, it is a depiction of the reeds used to sound the notes. As an Anglo with three rows, it is more versatile. The age could be achieved approximately if you could read the number clearly.

Bone buttons were quite usual, guessing a price without visual inspection, inside and out, is not really possible.

Though hopefully some Australian player, there are quite a few, may be able to help you further.

Les Branchett

Thankyou for your reply to my post les

Made by Lachenal & Co of London.

Unfortunately, the number is illegible, but will be found inside if you're game to take it apart. And even then, only an estimated age will be possible as the Lachenal records are long lost.

Hope this helps.

Thankyou Malcolm

Hello aust88, just so we can help advise you right, is your intent to learn to play the instrument, or to assess its value for sale, or simple curiosity? It's fine in whatever case, just it'll be easier for us to advise if you give us an idea of your goal. Glad you found the right place!

• 7 months later...

...Though hopefully some Australian player, there are quite a few, may be able to help you further...

I only saw this belatedly while searching the archives for summat else...

There are enough Australian players to support a web-site with a tutor - if aust88 is going to play the beast:

http://www.bushtraditions.org/tutors/concertina.htm

I use the tab system on this site for all my scores.

R

Edited by lachenal74693

• 1 month later...

Les Branchett

​Hi Les

Good to have discovered your name on this forum. You may remember me (Graham Else) from Aylsham SA days in the 1960s.

You inspired me as a young man to take up the concertina and I've now been playing anglo for 40 years.

Would be great to meet up and catch up sometime.

Cheers for now

Graham