Thoughts On A Southeast Squeezein

So, I decided to do a little digging over lunch, and I came up with two candidates for a Southeast Squeezein.

The first conclusion I drew was that the event should be in the Spring. The logic behind this is as follows:

1) Summer in North Carolina gets very hot.

2) The Northeast Squeezein is in the Fall, and I don't want to hurt that.

3) Since many people are likely to be driving, risking a winter storm seems unwise.

From there, there are two ranges of possibilities. On the far extreme is renting out one of the lodges that specializes in retreats. The other extreme would be renting a house or cottages. The organization (and risk) involved is obviously higher if we rent out an entire lodge.

So, here are the two candidates:

Snowbird Mountain Lodge

Relatively luxurious accomodations, all meals included, from around $125/person/night (including all meals, taxes, and gratuities, and assuming double occupancy).

Advantages: Hosts other music related events, all meals included.

Drawbacks: Have to arrange the event officially with the facility, limited function space, cost, and the probable case that we won't have all the rooms in the facility, which might limit how late events would run.

The Cottage Inn

A lodge and cabins in Cashiers, NC. Includes an enclosed and heated pool, picnic areas, and a laundromat. Cottages from $90-$155 a night (double occupancy, taxes not included) , and a four bedroom lodge for eight at $300 a night. No meals included.

Advantages: Scales naturally with the size of the event, with room for events in the lodge, or for people to host sessions in the living rooms of the individual cottages. Separate buildings mean less worries about disturbing other guests. Low cost.

Disadvantages: No meals included (although there are kitchens or kitchenettes).

So is there any interest, and if so, in which direction? The Snowbird Mountain Lodge would seem to require more logistical coordination, where the Cottage Inn is as simple as "everyone make reservations for this weekend, bring instruments".

--Dave