Dapper's Delight - Old Molly Oxford

You didn't say anything wrong:

Jim mentioned "Orange in Bloom" and you pointed out that it begins with a subdominant chord, which is true. We named a few others which also have that property. The fact that OMO ends on a subdominant is a different matter.

Thanks for pointing that out David; I should have read back through the posts before... :)

But to answer your point about tunes ending with a subdominant chord, what about another Fieldtown tune: Shepherds Hey? (Signposts) It's another of my favourites.

Adrian

But to answer your point about tunes ending with a subdominant chord, what about another Fieldtown tune: Shepherds Hey? (Signposts) It's another of my favourites.

I tend to think of Fieldtown Shepherds Hey as ending on vi, but I usually play it on the pipe & tabor, so I don't have to worry about chords on that one.

Another tune that ends either on vi or IV is an American tune you might not know. I played it at a session in London earlier this year and two people knew it: Jay Ungar's "Round the Horn." It's in G. Jay ends it with an e minor, but I prefer a C chord.

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/8333

Edited to add:

The link to thesession.org above shows a version without the chords. Even more than the chord that ends the A and B sections, Jay is very particular about the chords at the beginning of the B section. They are (one per measure): C G Amin Bmin C...

Edited by David Barnert

• 2 weeks later...

To celebrate it being a year since our CD 'Indoors" was released, we've posted a video on YouTube which was taken during the recording of the Morris tune,

, (a different take from that finally used on the CD). We've also temporarily lowered the price of the CD to 10 euros, for the run up to Christmas - a great present for the person who has everything :) (While the download at Itunes/Amazon is still perhaps a little cheaper, you do miss out on the 24-page booklet and the nice photos...) If anyone is interested, you can order the CD here

Adrian

Twelve days to Christmas - last chance for a Christmas delivery :) [sorry for the reminder]

Adrian

• 1 month later...

It just occurred to me that "Old Molly Oxford" (the tune that started this thread) is probably the only tune I know that ENDS on a subdominant chord, although sometimes when I'm feeling perverse I'll play a flat VII (subtonic?) chord to end it.

And Bampton Glorishears?

It just occurred to me that "Old Molly Oxford" (the tune that started this thread) is probably the only tune I know that ENDS on a subdominant chord, although sometimes when I'm feeling perverse I'll play a flat VII (subtonic?) chord to end it.

And Bampton Glorishears?

No that's dominant - answered my own question!!

• 3 months later...

Another video from the same recording sessions is here. Roast Beef comes from Daniel Wright’s wonderfully named 1713 publication, "An Extraordinary Collection of Pleasant and Merry Humour's, never before published, containing Hornpipe’s, Jigg’s, North Cuntry Frisk’s, Morris’s, Bagpipe Hornpipe’s and Round’s with Severall Additional fancis added. fit for those that play Publick." Aye Me or The Symphony is from John Playford’s English Dancing Master (1651), but we feel it has a sniff of Matthew Locke (c. 1621 – 1677) about it...

Adrian

Adrian, this is truly delightful! Apart from the beautiful setting and playing in general I particularly like your light and elegant touch the concertina!

Thank you both for providing the videos - I hadn't even been aware of the first as yet, unfortunately not being No. 1.000 this morning... ^_^

Guess I will order a copy shortly...

Edited by blue eyed sailor