Wheatstone Labels

I'm in the process of rebuilding a Wheatstone 29 key bass.

The serial number had eluded me - but having just found a single light imprint of the serial number (24699 - making it around 1909) I'm wondering about labels,.

Does anyone have a good scan of a manufacturers paper label (oval) and serial number label (also oval) commensurate with the age of the instrument?

I can use the serial number label to match the font for my own label.

Cheers

Edited by SteveS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone!

Been a while, sorry I'm out of touch with connecting!)

​I am currently restoring a 1919 rosewood ended Wheatstone Linota and as a final touch, I would love to include a new makers badge.

Does anyone have a suitable scan of one that I can use from this period? I have found a few online, but the quality isn't quite right.

I was also wondering, would these have originally sat behind glass or just been in there as paper inserts?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Will

I have a 1915 Model 21 which has what seems to be a plastic type material over both the label and the serial number. It's horribly clouded.

Thankyou for that Mike! Not sure I will be able to track down 1915 plastic (or that I would want to!) but nice to know it has something there :)

I know for a fact that it isn't kosher, but I used to spread a thin coat of epoxy over my early paper labels before I went to stamped metal. It yellowed nicely but was good protection, and so far has stayed clear. ( only 22 years so far ). Given that a replacement label isn't any more original and given that it's current age has left it in less than pristine condition...

Dana

I know for a fact that it isn't kosher, but I used to spread a thin coat of epoxy over my early paper labels before I went to stamped metal. It yellowed nicely but was good protection, and so far has stayed clear. ( only 22 years so far ). Given that a replacement label isn't any more original and given that it's current age has left it in less than pristine condition...

Dana

Dana

I am still deciding whether adding in a fake label is sacrilege or if it will make it nicer! I'm going to have a play and see how I feel! Good idea on the epoxy!

So after some tinkering in photoshop I managed to reproduce a label from around the right timeframe! My first attempt on a home printer laminated between two pieces of clear plastic didn't work so well (left hand on image) So I took it to a printers and got it printed on cotton parchment paper and laminated. Looks pretty good I think.

I can provide the PDF with the artwork on it to anyone who wants, and if you fancy a trip to Kent, I have another 40 laminated labels here! (The fee was the same for 2 full a4 so I thought why not!)

Embedding of images seems to have gone crazy, but you can view it here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ppsym12lvt2kmo/label22.jpg?dl=0

Will add another image once the restoration is complete!

also, I'm sure someone will point out that Wheatstone moved to West Street in 1905, but unless someone has a West Street label that they can scan in, I have to use what I have! :P so Conduit/Regent it is! :)

also, I'm sure someone will point out that Wheatstone moved to West Street in 1905, but unless someone has a West Street label that they can scan in, I have to use what I have! :P so Conduit/Regent it is! :)

If the Concertina is a Wheatstone, and you provide proper dates with it, a Wheatstone label should be good enough. Who is to say they didn't use up old labels when they moved? ( I'm sure somebody will ) I know some people give a lot of ego to provenance, but the instruments were meant to be played, not argued over. What you do to improve it' sound is more important than any label.

Dana

I have one of those labels on my early (2004) Kensington (played it this morning) and it is still white actually - maybe less UV in cloudy Pennsylvania!

Ken