Theme Of The Month, April 2015: Your Newest

Jim Besser

A while back we did "first tunes" as the Theme of the Month - the first tunes you learned and played as budding concertinists.

This month, we'll stand that theme on its head. The idea: let's hear some of the newest tunes in your concertina repertoire.

What new stuff are you working on this week? This month?

Of course, this means your recording is unlikely to be error free, since you haven't been playing it for years and years. And that's totally OK; you're among friends here, so don't be shy! Hopefully you'll even get some constructive feedback.

Come on, don't be shy, let's hear what you're working on, warts and all!

Edited by Jim Besser

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been exploring some Shetland tunes on Jeffries duet - Tom Anderson's "Da Slockit Light", and "Da Day Dawn". The latter sits fine in its original mode (A dorian) on the Jeff duet keyboard, whereas I've transposed the former from D into a more JD-friendly F.

The arrangement of "Da Day Dawn" hasn't bedded in yet, but "Da Slockit Light" should be OK for a quick phone recording :)

I've been exploring some Shetland tunes on Jeffries duet - Tom Anderson's "Da Slockit Light", and "Da Day Dawn". The latter sits fine in its original mode (A dorian) on the Jeff duet keyboard, whereas I've transposed the former from D into a more JD-friendly F.

The arrangement of "Da Day Dawn" hasn't bedded in yet, but "Da Slockit Light" should be OK for a quick phone recording :)

Nice timing - Slockit Light is up for next month's poll. A great tune.

I'm fed up with trying to get an error-free run through of One Too Many; I originally intended to record it for the Jig theme! The accompaniment is spectacularly uninspiring, but it'll do for now :D

https://soundcloud.com/robotmay/one-too-many

Also learning Floating from Skerry at the moment, which is really lovely, but the B section is strangely awkward. Will get that up later in the month hopefully.

I'm fed up with trying to get an error-free run through of One Too Many; I originally intended to record it for the Jig theme! The accompaniment is spectacularly uninspiring, but it'll do for now :D

Also learning Floating from Skerry at the moment, which is really lovely, but the B section is strangely awkward. Will get that up later in the month hopefully.

Very nice. It sounded good to me.

"What new stuff are you working on this week? This month?"

err - is this like some strange planetary alignment - where for this month it is possible to post the same tune on both the ToTM and ThoTM threads :)

err - is this like some strange planetary alignment - where for this month it is possible to post the same tune on both the ToTM and ThoTM threads :)

That's really funny - it never occurred to me!

That's really funny - it never occurred to me!

If you didn't vote for the winning choice, you could always do the one you did vote for.

<OT>

Saying that reminds me of an academic conference I went to many years ago where someone got up in the question session at the end of a paper clearly narked he hadn't been invited to give a paper himself and said, more or less to the effect "since you didn't invite me, here's the paper I would have given" and proceeded to do just that. Sadly the session chairman did not have the strength of character to shut him up.

</OT>

<OT>

Saying that reminds me of an academic conference I went to many years ago where someone got up in the question session at the end of a paper clearly narked he hadn't been invited to give a paper himself and said, more or less to the effect "since you didn't invite me, here's the paper I would have given" and proceeded to do just that. Sadly the session chairman did not have the strength of character to shut him up.

</OT>

I positively agree with you on that one! Sounds all too familiar... :o

I think the accompaniment is absolutely fine - I wouldn't have done anything more complicated with it myself. What's the source of the tune? I've never come across it before.

I think the accompaniment is absolutely fine - I wouldn't have done anything more complicated with it myself. What's the source of the tune? I've never come across it before.

I'm not actually sure, I found an ABC file for it from some searching after I heard it at a session in Adderbury a couple of weeks ago. It sounds like a modern composition to me, but that's all I've found so far!

Very nice. Good accompaniment and you've kept it slow.

In my experience, it's too often played far too quickly. It is a lament, after all.

Edited by Tootler

Thanks - yes, I like it quick enough that it doesn't become overly sentimental, but given that it's a lament for depopulation and for Tom Anderson's late wife it doesn't exactly want to gallop along :)

I believe some play it as a reel, which I find extremely odd.