Manual Coffee Grinder Great Daily 'workout'

bellowbelle

I know what it's like to have problems with a shoulder, arm, wrist, hand, etc... even to the point where I began to think I was eventually going to have to lose my left arm (and wow, that would really complicate things). I've posted in this forum a few times, re such, though it was quite a while ago.

Doing considerably better, lately. For the record, I've discovered that I'm greatly helped by wearing a compression sleeve and also a compression gauntlet, at least a few times a week. (Not every glove/gauntlet I wear is compression, at all times.) I had lymphangitis in my left arm and lots of hand trouble -- swelling, etc.. So, a big thanks to the arm sleeves made by LympheDIVAs (notably better than some brands).

But, what I wanted to mention this time is my new manual coffee grinder. If you are a concertina player and also a coffee drinker, I recommend giving one a whirl!

I got a Hario --

Hario Coffee Hand Grinder Skerton

Grinding up my morning's coffee beans, I notice a good little workout for my shoulder, upper and lower arms, wrists, fingers -- I switch hands while grinding.

I noticed that if you buy beans that are too tough and woody, it's no fun... but that was only one bad brand. Then I got better beans, and it's much easier.

For the record, if you break the glass jar of the Hario grinder, you can substitute a canning jar, it'll fit.

Anyway, that's the one I bought -- of course there are many other hand mills that are probably great.

Edited by bellowbelle

I know what it's like to have problems with a shoulder, arm, wrist, hand, etc... even to the point where I began to think I was eventually going to have to lose my left arm (and wow, that would really complicate things).

Ouch! I've heard/read of a duet or two with only one end, for one-handed musicians. And I've seen a one-armed anglo player using only one end of his instrument. But you play English!

"Complicate", indeed! :o

Very glad it didn't come to that.

For the record, if you break the glass jar of the Hario grinder, you can substitute a canning jar, it'll fit.

Do you speak from personal experience? :D

But above all: Best wishes for further recovery! Great that you manage to play your instrument at this point...

I know what it's like to have problems with a shoulder, arm, wrist, hand, etc... even to the point where I began to think I was eventually going to have to lose my left arm (and wow, that would really complicate things).

Ouch! I've heard/read of a duet or two with only one end, for one-handed musicians. And I've seen a one-armed anglo player using only one end of his instrument. But you play English!

"Complicate", indeed! :o

Very glad it didn't come to that.

Me too! :unsure: It was 'lymphangitis' in the arm that made me wonder. So now I know about lymphedema and all that. I did have some official medical help, but I actually got more help from the web and a guy in a waiting room at a clinic!

Do you speak from personal experience? :D

But above all: Best wishes for further recovery! Great that you manage to play your instrument at this point...

Thanks.

Yup, personal experience. Klutzy me... I broke the glass jar. Anyway, now I don't feel so bad that I bought too many canning jars (didn't use any of them for canning ^_^ ).