Recorded Tune Link Page.

Whenever I click on one of Jim Lucas's tunes I get a webpage with lots of text. All the other tune links open up a player which promptly sounds the tunes. Is anyone else having this situation?

Richard

I see also different behaviour, but not so dramatically as you describe. Jim's links do not open up my windows media player seperately, but the links page is replaced by the media player inside the same browser window. As a result a lot of controls of the player (volume regulator, etc.) are not shown.

This could be the result of some settings by Jim's ISP or maybe the sound-software that he uses.

I can make an experiment:

The laughin banshee by Jim by his provider

The same tune by my provider

I guess these look different, so it is not the sound software, but probably Jim's ISP that is causing this "problem".

Jim.. for this experiment I had to copy your tune without asking for permission. Hope you do not mind :unsure:

Edited to add this remark: In the first link you have to start the mediaplayer. At the second link the media player starts playing automatically.

Edited by Henk van Aalten

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim.. for this experiment I had to copy your tune without asking for permission. Hope you do not mind  :unsure:

Quite all right.

This is all quite bizarre. I, too, am getting different behavior from the two different links, but the difference is different from what either Rich or Henk is experiencing. Both open new browser windows; both start to play without assistance; but my link is played by RealPlayer, while Henk's link is played by QuickTime (I have both on my computer). I wasn't aware that the ISP could control something like that. Can it?

Well, I'll probably go off line to discuss this with Henk and others and see if we can't figure it out. If anybody reading this thinks they know something that can help, please email me to let me know.

I can make an experiment:

The laughin banshee by Jim by his provider

The same tune by my provider

When I left-click on "his provider" I get a new browser window with a lot of text. When I left-click on "my provider" I get a new browser window that loads QuickTime and automatically starts playing (though the tune is very low volume).

In the first link you have to start the mediaplayer. At the second link the media player starts playing automatically.

I'm not sure what you mean. Which mediaplayer? I tried opening up RealPlayer (so that it was active) then clicked on the link. Still got a browser window of text.

When I *listen* to one of Jim's tunes nothing seems abnormal except that the volume is very low. That is most likely due to the software and file that he created originally. Other than that it seems to work just like all the other files, that is, my WindowsMediaPlayer opens in its own window and starts to play when it has enough of the file downloaded.

I don't experience any real problems.

This is all quite bizarre.  I, too, am getting different behavior from the two different links, but the difference is different from what either Rich or Henk is experiencing.  Both open new browser windows; both start to play without assistance; but my link is played by RealPlayer, while Henk's link is played by QuickTime (I have both on my computer).  I wasn't aware that the ISP could control something like that.  Can it?

It can, actually. In addition to shoving files down to a browser, a server will also send a "mime type" which tells the browser what sort of file they're dealing with, and it's up to the browser to interpret things.

On Jim's server, the mime type for .mp3 files is returned as "text/plain", which is wrong, and causes some browsers to try and display things as plain text.

On the other server, the mime type for .mp3 files is returned as "audio/mpeg", which is correct.

Jim, I don't know what sort of access you have on your server, but if you can edit a file called .htaccess in your root web directory, adding the following line to it may solve your issue:

AddType audio/mpeg .mp3

By the way, figuring out what mime types were being returned was quite fun, but I'll save that tale for another time.

Well, there's something else involved, for sure.

Using Mozilla or Netscape as my browser, I get the same differing behavior.

Using MS Internet Explorer as my browser, both behave the same (but not quite the same as either behavior in the browsers).

I could give plenty more details, but I won't here. I'm posting them on a Mozilla forum in the hope that someone there can help.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Many Thanks Henk for adding my two new tunes.

It certainly is a great site and should be separated onto its own page for easy access by all those interested in downloading free concertina music.

How about it Ken?

Al

Two new tunes from Alan Day are added to the Recorded Tune Link Page:

While checking the validity of the links, I discovered some broken links. I'm checking these out at the moment.

Edited to add:

• After re-checking the links everything looks (sounds) OK now :)
  • The (previous) message of Alan was sent during the typing of this message (he surely is faster than his own shadow!) :lol:

Edited by Henk van Aalten

Hello Henk - just came across this thread (after a couple of months absence from C.net) so feel free to add links to the tune's I've recorded - any/all from the bottom two sections of

http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/concertina/music/index.html

All are recorded on my nice Wheatstone English tenor-treble, though some intentionally only use the treble range. Some have other instruments (played by me), or multiple concertinas. All are riddled with mistakes :)

Cheers - Danny