New tune tession in Surrey (UK)

maccannic

Announcing a new tune session commencing this Monday, 28th February 2011, and the fourth Monday in each month thereafter, from 8.30 pm.

The venue is the Blue Anchor in High Road, Byfleet, postcode KT14 7RL This is where the Anchor Folk Club is held every Thursday, which is a great folk club held in the upstairs room, but we thought we would try to get a tune session going down in the bar as well.

At this stage we don't know who we're going to get turning up, or whether it's going to take off, but there has been quite a bit of interest, so here's hoping.

Any local 'tina players (or any instrument, of course) welcome, so we hope to see you there.

Edited by maccannic

• 4 weeks later...

Just to remind people, the second session is this coming Monday, 28th March (don't worry, I won't keep doing this every month).

The first session in Feb. wasn't a bad start. Twelve musicians turned up, inclding four concertinas (a C/G, a G/D, an English and me on Maccann).

• 3 weeks later...

Just to remind people, the second session is this coming Monday, 28th March (don't worry, I won't keep doing this every month).

The first session in Feb. wasn't a bad start. Twelve musicians turned up, inclding four concertinas (a C/G, a G/D, an English and me on Maccann).

great start! persist! some vids sound recordings help pull in slackers too......

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouraging comment. But sorry, we don't have the technology to post videos etc.

Also, I wish I could edit the title from 'tession' to 'session'. (Perhaps somebody can?).

Third session is tomorrow, 25th March. Yes, I know it's Easter Monday, but some people have said they can come, and the pub is prepared to have us, so I guess it's on.

• 1 month later...

Well, as we're now up to 1,000 views it seems appropriate to update things.

We've now had four sessions (not tessions), February to May. We were down to 8 people in May, including no less than 5 concertinas, but then we knew some of us weren't going to be able to make it. Had a fairly intense session for an hour or more, then we eased up a bit.

Hope the summer doesn't reduce the numbers too much. The next one is in June, right after the ECMW weekend.

• 2 months later...

Well, we've had 7 months now and it's still going well. 12 people there in August, including 5 concertinas.

Just in case anyone is following this, there won't be a session in September, and the October one is having to be moved forward a week, i.e. the 3rd Monday instead of the 4th (i.e. October 17th, not October 24th).

• 3 months later...

Just in case anybody was planning to come next Monday, which is Boxing Day, we had the session this week instead. Ten of us there, despite it being the 'wrong' week and only a few days before you-know-what.

Next session will be 4th Monday in January, as usual.