Theme Of The Month, Jan. 2015: Hornpipes And Other Swingy Things

Jim Besser

Here's two Northumbrian Tunes.

Till The Tide Comes In is a pipe tune and not normally dotted but I've given it a bit of swing and I think it works quite well. Steamboat is a hornpipe composed by 19th century fiddler and composer, James Hill. James Hill was born in Scotland but lived most of his adult life in Gateshead and his hornpipes are a staple of the Northumbrian repertoire as well as being widely known elsewhere.

The photos in the video are of the North of England. In order, Whitby, Saltburn both in North Yorkshire and two of Steamers on Windermere in the English Lake District.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's two

Till The Tide Comes In is a pipe tune and not normally dotted but I've given it a bit of swing and I think it works quite well. Steamboat is a hornpipe composed by 19th century fiddler and composer, James Hill.

Terrific tunes and lovely playing. I'm a rabid James Hill fan; is there any music that sits better on an Anglo?

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Here's two

Till The Tide Comes In is a pipe tune and not normally dotted but I've given it a bit of swing and I think it works quite well. Steamboat is a hornpipe composed by 19th century fiddler and composer, James Hill. James Hill was born in Scotland but lived most of his adult life in Gateshead and his hornpipes are a staple of the Northumbrian repertoire as well as being widely known elsewhere.

The photos in the video are of the North of England. In order, Whitby, Saltburn both in North Yorkshire and two of Steamers on Windermere in the English Lake District.

Very nice playing indeed.

And lovely photos to accompany the video.

Is there a Coble on the beach in the second photo?

Here's two

Till The Tide Comes In is a pipe tune and not normally dotted but I've given it a bit of swing and I think it works quite well. Steamboat is a hornpipe composed by 19th century fiddler and composer, James Hill.

Terrific tunes and lovely playing. I'm a rabid James Hill fan; is there any music that sits better on an Anglo?

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Here's two

Very nice playing indeed.

And lovely photos to accompany the video.

Is there a Coble on the beach in the second photo?

Many thanks to both of you.

Indeed James Hill hornpipes are great tunes and sit well on the anglo

And yes it will be Cobles in the second picture. There are still a few inshore fishermen who take their boats out off the beach.

Somebody here mentioned Eastern European tunes. This Csango Hungarian ritualized-combat dance tune (from Moldavia) should sound great on an anglo and it's as swingy as they get:

traditional instrumentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTb9YedRT0&feature=player_detailpage#t=632

clearer sound, fiddle version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH_fhqbE1aI

X:3
T:Bulgáros
T:Lérem, lérem
M:C|
L:1/8
Q:1/2=96
K:B Minor
f3d f3d   |f2f2   e2d2|e3d    e3d   |f2f2   e2d2:|
B3c d>ce>c|d>ce>c d2c2|B3c    d>ce>c|d>Bc>A B4   |
B3c d>ce>c|d>cB>c d2e2|f>de>c d>ce>c|d>Bc>A B4  ||

It's a popular dance to teach to kids. Girls on one side of the room, boys on the other and CHARGE!

Somebody here mentioned Eastern European tunes. This Csango Hungarian ritualized-combat dance tune (from Moldavia) should sound great on an anglo and it's as swingy as they get:

traditional instrumentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTb9YedRT0&feature=player_detailpage#t=632

clearer sound, fiddle version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH_fhqbE1aI

X:3
T:Bulgáros
T:Lérem, lérem
M:C|
L:1/8
Q:1/2=96
K:B Minor
f3d f3d   |f2f2   e2d2|e3d    e3d   |f2f2   e2d2:|
B3c d>ce>c|d>ce>c d2c2|B3c    d>ce>c|d>Bc>A B4   |
B3c d>ce>c|d>cB>c d2e2|f>de>c d>ce>c|d>Bc>A B4  ||

It's a popular dance to teach to kids. Girls on one side of the room, boys on the other and CHARGE!

Very cool sound, thanks!