Concertina Smelling

Something of a circular economy in Bedford too. Peeing-off-the-bridge contests were a much amusing and staple element of after-pub entertainment when staggering home. Sadly, Charlie Wells were reputed to draw straight from the Ouse, an aptly named river if ever there was one, for the late and unlegendary Fargo (known locally as Go Far; to avoid). Appparently, according to popular rumour/belief it didn't need brewing, just bottling...... :blink:

Jill

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Sadly, Charlie Wells were reputed to draw straight from the Ouse, an aptly named river if ever there was one, for the late and unlegendary Fargo (known locally as Go Far; to avoid).  Appparently, according to popular rumour/belief it didn't need brewing, just bottling......  :blink:

Well, in Burton the brewing water has always come from deep underground wells, it originates from rain water that falls on the surrounding hills, not the River Trent. The town is reckoned to be in an ideal geological setting so that the water percolates slowly through gypsum (calcium sulphate) beds, which creates exceptional brewing water.

Brewers elsewhere commonly attempt to "Burtonise" their water (sometimes with unwanted side-effects !), and home brewers can buy "Burton Salts" to try to reproduce it, so in brewing circles our water is legendary.

Hence my shock when I found out about Guiness' "canal water" ! :blink:

I live not far from your birthplace and can attest to the exceptional quality of the beer produced there.

Derek :P (licking his lips)

As to drinkable Canal Water, the Llangollen canal provides about 8 million gallons a year to the water supplies of the north Midlands...

Ed for typo

Edited by bigsqueezergeezer