Sea Of Thieves Sighting

The new Sea of Thieves online pirate game is reportedly hugely successful, no doubt due to the concertina in the promo photo!

(Nice to see a hurdy-gurdy too).

​Gary

post-322-0-38321200-1522096441_thumb.jpg

Edited by gcoover

All new players to the game are equipped with a concertina: https://seaofthieves.gamepedia.com/Concertina

Since over 2 million players have signed up already, that's probably the most concertinas EVER!!!

From the trailer: https://youtu.be/uUL1Rs2_1vU

https://youtu.be/9jRZqpui79k

And who knows, it might even spark an interest in the real instrument (faulty pirate chronology nothwithstanding).

Gary

Edited by gcoover

Well your speculation is my story!!

Sea of Thieves sparked my interest in the concertina. Picked up a cheap Amazon one. As expected, that lasted about a day. I went to Liberty Bellows in Philadelphia and purchased an affordable to me used instrument. I replaced the straps as the original ones were not adjustable and were entirely too small for my hands. I ordered " Easy Anglo 1-2-3: A Beginner's Guide to the Anglo Concertina" and until it arrives have been using Concertina Academy's YouTube lessons.

A used Hohner 20 button ANGLO C/G. from German democratic republic. Not sure how old and in my excitement during the purchase forgot to ask. It is in decent shape and the shop had gone through it to ensure everything was in order. It didn't break the bank and they gave me a six month warranty. I felt confident knowing that they could service any issue that may arise. I replaced the straps as they were very tight. They had a lot of new Stagi concertinas as well as some others in stock. There shop salesman was very friendly and knowledgeable. It was cool to see the accordions being serviced in the work area while my wife and I were browsing. All in all it was a great experience and hope to go back in a year or two to upgrade to a better instrument.

On a side note I just can't contain my enthusiasm to learn to play!! I moved a bit over a year ago and was used to playing my drums almost every day after work. On Tuesdays and Thursdays my son would come over and we would make a lot of noise with him on guitar. I had no issue with neighbors as I lived in a commercial building that I converted into our home. We now live in a very, very quiet section of the woods and I haven't touched my kit in a year. I wouldn't want to disturb the peace for the few neighbors we have. Plus, as I get older and he gets better, it was hard keeping up! People move to the middle of the woods don't move there to hear metal:) So now I can't wait everyday to go home after work and learn something that I am finding both calming and beautiful!!

Edited by TRICH911

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having fun in this game pulling out the in-game concertina and then playing a real concertina over the team chat. Folks get confused... "why does your concertina sound different than mine?" :)

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

• 1 month later...