First Encounter With Murdoch, Lachenal And Concertina

It's there. In this "just received" cardboard package. Chris from Barleycorn has taken all precautions for the shipment, from "Fragile" tape outside to polystyrene chips inside.
When opening, a small smell of antique things... or probably more likely shoe polish, perhaps because of new straps.

The concertina is comfortably but tightly installed in its hexagonal wooden box. I dream of this since a year ! What a beautiful instrument. So tiny ! I must say I never held a concertina before, and am surprised by the size, the delicate fretwork, the small but protuding buttons.

I carefully respect a warm up time of half an hour, "tasting" this moment, admiring the object without hearing it yet. I let it breathe a few times with the air button, and try some strap adjusting with these small flat screws.

A bit afraid of any possible damage due to delivery conditions (not related to Barleycorn), I hesitate before pushing any "singing" button.... but wow ! What a sound ! "Clear", "bright", "without artifice yet so lovely and true" are some of the things which come up to my mind when playing a little. So close yet so different from my Castagnari 3 voices melodeon. I'm so happy to have chosen a vintage instrument with its "true" reeds (no offense meant here), helping me to clearly put a place in my heart "side by side" with my melodeon (but again that's personal).

I'm surprised to find very fast a way to handle the air button (the right thumb can have its revenge on the left one), and already note that I must be careful about "bad habits" (well some that I guess, such as helping the push movement of a right hand melody with left fingers pushing the left end instead of resting on buttons).

C/G melodeon playing helps sometimes, like the diatonic scale on right hand. But for the left hand used to "prepared" bass chords, it's another story. Well I am happy to already have a "strong" left little finger. The notes "spreading" among both sides is truly new and I'm loving it. Left and right ears are equally happy :-) Makes me think a little about the church organ.

I've "played" concertina for half an hour so far, but I am truly happy with this instrument, and wrote this post to tell it to you :-)

Good day to you all !

post-12730-0-16556400-1517436875_thumb.jpg

post-12730-0-49608400-1517436889_thumb.jpg

Terence,

Thank you for helping me to recall the first time that Ihad a traditional-reeded, English-built concertina in my hands. Mine was a Lachenal, too, but a Crane Duet.

It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it! May the wonder never wear off :)

Cheers,

John