Something For Christmas

gcoover

Well, if some folks can't view some of the "Nancy" videos on YouTube, I guess they'll just have to learn to play the tune themselves!

In the spirit of the OP (that's me) and the spirit of Christmas, here's Tom Clough's wonderful Northumbrian pipe tune "Nancy" with button numbering and directions for Anglo - and you can play the whole thing, including all the variations, on just one row.

Of course, anyone else who can read music notation on whatever type of concertina can also play along.

Thanks to Pete for his Christmas gift of the abc's!

Gary

28-29-Nancy-C-ANGLO-123.pdf

Gary - my understanding was and is not that watching a video would anyone spare the effort of learning a tune (how should that happen?), but to get an impression of a respective style or some inspiration.

However - thank you for frequently and generously sharing your work here!

Best wishes - Wolf

PS: and yes, "Nancy" is a wonderful tune - has lead me to resume my practising it again and again today...

I just purchased Christmas Concertina and have started learning a few tunes. It's both challenging and wonderful, but I have a little question. Are the tunes in this book written in a different style from how one would play Irish music on the concertina (which is what I usually do), and what would that style be called? Hope this makes sense ...

Hi Bubo,

Thanks for getting the book and hope you enjoy working through it! If you want to play in the single-note Irish style then you can approximate that by playing only the melody, but all the tunes in Christmas Concertina are arranged in what would be called the "harmonic style" to take advantage of the Anglo keyboard and it's ability to play full accompaniments for a nice big church organ sound.

Not sure how these same tunes would sound with Irish ornaments - but I'd love to hear it!

Gary