Hohner V Scarlatti?

Hello there,

I am extremely interested in purchasing and learning the English Concertina. I already have a 20 button anglo Scarlatti but struggle to play it effectively. I thought an English may be more suitable? At least, Id like to try it and find out.

I have only a small budget unfortunately - I see there is an Hohner 48 button on ebay for starting price 200 pounds (no bids yet) - in very good used condition.

I also see at Hobgoblin they have Scarlatti 30 button for around 250 new.

I know these dont have a fantastic reputation and they are very basic and probably flimsy with many faults but im unable to afford anything more at the moment! I've never played or tried anything apart from my Scarlatti anglo.

I've read that it might be better to get a used Stagi but again, I've not found one in my budget.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received!!

Thanks, Emma :)

Hi Emma,

I can recommend the "Jackie" , Great entry level instrument for a reasonable price, well made and easy to play. I love mine, I am currently considering something vintage but will still keep my Jackie!

if you are not sure about the EC maybe you could borrow one for a while to try it out?

Kaz

Hi Kaz,

Thanks for your reply - I'll have a look at those! I thought about borrowing one, theres a local folk club that I've just got in touch with and they've invited me a long to watch..perhaps I can at least hold one to know if it feels good.

Cheers, Emma

It's certainly possible to get a second-hand Jackie in the States (and also to rent them); I don't know whether that's as easy to do in the UK, but it's worth pursuing (or someone here is sure to know). Typically a used Jackie/Jack goes for around $75-$100 (15-20% or so) less than a new one from the Button Box (in Massachusetts), so you might find the same is true in the UK.

I don't know them well enough to say whether there's any difference in how the Jackie and Jack play, but the only real difference is that the Jack is lower in pitch (and this *might* make it slower to respond but I don't think it really does for these particular instruments). I'd say go with a Jackie, unless you find a budget-priced used Jack first in which case there's no reason not to go with it :-)