Tune Of The Month For March, 2013: The Fiery Clockface

Jim Besser

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that this song should come up now - we played it for the first time in a while last Monday at our local Greenshoots practice session (http://www.greenshootsmusic.org.uk/), and concluded that it was easier in G than in D, so as I was about to issue the 2013 edition of Paul Hardy's Session Tunebook, that now has the G version, as below. See if that falls under the fingers better! If you don't read abc, then the PDF is in the 2013 Session tunebook for free download (or ordering a printed copy) at http://www.paulhardy.net/concertina/tunebooks/.

X:6004
T:Fiery Clock Face
T:Coal-hole, The
R:Jig
C:Trad. Song, 1888
O:Newcastle England
Z:Paul Hardy's Session Tunebook 2013 (see www.paulhardy.net). Creative Commons cc by-nc-sa licenced.
M:6/8
L:1/8
Q:3/8=130
K:Gmaj
D|"G"G2 G G,2 A,|B,2 C D2 E|"F"=F2 F A,2 B,|C2 D "D7"E2 F|"G"G2 G G,2 A,|B,2 C D2 D|"C"EFG "D7"A2 F|"G"G3 G2:|
|:G/2A/2|"G"B2 B GAB|"C"c2 B A2 G|"D"F2 E D2 E|"D7"F2 G A2 _B|"G"B2 B GAB|"Am"c2 B A2 G|"D7"FED E2 F|"G"G3 G2:|

Interesting because I play the first four bars on the D row (LH)and then switch to the start of the next four bars on the pull on the G row.(RH)

This method can be easily played on a twenty key instrument.

It is not the quality of the recordings or playing it is the taking part.

Just have a go.

Al

Here is an alternative way of playing the A part .Played on my G D box along the D and G rows

We played this option as a band for a couple of times through ,but Jim and David are playing the proper version.

Should start another war !!

Well done Jim for starting this topic I hope this does not spoil it.

Al

Really nice version!

THere is no proper version, IMO. This tune has great potential for interesting variations.

Good to see some EC in there!

I'll probably put something up in a few days here.

(No hurry, right? I've got all month... )

Since I am occupied with work-related affairs more than usual just these days the same is true for me... :)

PS any info on the name of the tune ?

I believe the tune comes from Newcastle upon Tyne and commemorates the time when gas lighting was installed to illuminate the clock on the cathedral tower. No documentary evidence I'm afraid, just word of mouth from local musicians.

At http://www.pghardy.net/concertina/recordings/fiery_clock_face.mp3 is me playing the G version I gave earlier in the thread. I'm playing it on my new MIDI conversion of Lachenal 30566 done by Roy Whiteley - see http://www.pghardy.net/concertina/lachenal_30566_midi/lachenal_30566_midi.html. This has three parallel MIDI channels, so this recording has Oboe at pitch, Cello an octave below, and Glockenspiel an octave above!

And I have the same issue with my dogs when I play.

When I was growing up I had a dog and I already played several instruments (but not yet concertina). I always wondered what the dog thought of my playing. I knew he didn't like the soprano recorder, but when I played other instruments (cello, classical guitar) he would just lie there like a lump.

Then I went away to college and one day my mother called and said that there was a recording on the radio of Julian Bream playing a piece I played on the guitar. The first Villa-Lobos prelude. It has a very characteristic opening (a glissando on one of the lower strings) and as soon as it started, the dog went nuts looking for me.

Just wanted to thank you and all contributors for introducing this tune of the month. I'm a recent beginner to the EC and I'm going to be using these tunes (when they're within my abilities) to give a real focus to my learning and as a way of building up a good repertoire. The current offering is just perfect for that and I'm enjoying working on it each day. Hearing the different takes on the same tune is fascinating.

Cheers,

Dean

Just wanted to thank you and all contributors for introducing this tune of the month. I'm a recent beginner to the EC and I'm going to be using these tunes (when they're within my abilities) to give a real focus to my learning and as a way of building up a good repertoire. The current offering is just perfect for that and I'm enjoying working on it each day. Hearing the different takes on the same tune is fascinating.

Cheers,

Dean

Good to hear; that's the goal. I'm a not-very-experienced melodeon player, and the TOTM on mel.net has really pushed me to advance.

Want to post a rendition too but I've never done this before.. so.. I make a recording on a device (MP3)... shove it on my computer... download Audacity (for free) and use that programme to transfer to Soundcloud ??? Is that the way and/or can someone walk us virgins through the process please ? :blink: