Blues On English Concertina

Should we form a club? Invade Italy or something?

Oh yes! Let's do! I'll nic a broadsword and battle axe from my son's collection. Meet you in Ostia and we'll pillage our way north until run to ground or are ground to a halt from all the fine victuals!

Italy's nice in spring. But is Ostia traditional or do we need to start at the Alps?

Quite, the Alps would be the tradition. Besides with any luck an arrest would not catch up with us until reaching Venezia and several bottles of Prosecco and several types of saugage were consumed.

Vegitarian Italians Misha? They must exsist, but in my travels there, my hosts were all carinvors.

What about keeping Venice as an option in case the mainland route to Rome gets too hot? I could cope with Venice as a consolation prize.

Living off the land is required for invading barbarians. Parma ham and fresh figs. You can quite see why Rome was so popular with barbarian hordes.

Parma ham and fresh figs.

Oh my the figs! We stayed in an agriturismo (Monte Malbe) above Perugia for two weeks and there was this wheat field on one side and an olive grove on the other with a pleasant pool and next to it a fig tree. Those fresh sun warmed figs were like nothing else I've had the pleasure of eating in my life. How I miss Italy. :(

• 1 month later...
Well Michelv I enjoyed the music ,the singing and the group.I liked most "Gezablis" and the arrangement you have all put together.It sounds as if you play one note at a time and no chords,but I play in a large band and with that sort of backing the concertina coming over as clear as a bell would be the way I would approach it. Not sure about the blues bit ,it sounds more like you are influenced by a number of artists and it is a mixture of that rather than being a blues or cajun band. Thanks

Al

Hi, Imagine my surprise when a search for Gezablis on Google took us to Concertina.net and this thread. I am the concertina player, guitarist an singer with Ock'n'Dough and Doughboy Zydecajun - and amazed our humble tracks have resulted in a thread on this noble site!

Ock'n'Dough aka Doughboy Zydecajun are a band based in East Northants, UK and we do play a wide range of material. Half the band are of Latvian descent and the other two (including me) are married to them! I don't reallt play blues on the concertina particularly, normally using guitar to back the accordion and sax for blues/zydeco songs and tunes.

Gezablis is a Latvian folk tune dating from at least the turn of the last century and The Engineers Song (the one with the so called blues concertina on it) was written by me!

Check out www.ockndough.co.uk for more information and music.

All the concertina tracks on myspace were played with my extended treble Lachenal Edeophone, I also use an extended baritone Edeophone for a lot of work - particularly when playing solo, in particular for song accompaniment.

It'd be great to hear back from any of you!