A/d Anglo Tuning

Bob

I recently purchased a Jones concertina tuned to the keys of A and D. Since my experience has always been with C/G concertinas and I can see the practical reasons for that tuning, what are the reasons one would have a concertina tuned in A/D? I failed to mention that this is a Mini. The restorer, who is a recognized expert, has suggested size of the instrument and size of the reeds is the most obvious reason. Any other ideas? Bob

Hi Bob,

What are the dimensions of your mini? I don't have the exact size of mine (curently on order) which is in G/D (although I will certainly ask).

General question to the experienced builders out there - is there much difference in size between a G and an A reed?

Cheers

Morgana :)

Since my experience has always been with C/G concertinas and I can see the practical reasons for that tuning, what are the reasons one would have a concertina tuned in A/D?

What do you see as "the practical reasons"? What kind(s) of music do you play?

I assume it's what we call D/A -- i.e., the A row closer to the hand bar, -- rather than A/D (the D row closer to the bar); the latter would be very unusual.

If you like playing both "along the rows" and Irish/Scottish tunes, then D/A lets you do that in D and A, and playing in G is like playing in F on a C/G, which is not too bad, needing only 2 rows rather than the 3 rows needed to play in D on a C/G. Grey Larsen promotes himself primarily as a flute player, but he's also a fine anglo concertina player, especially on Irish music, and for many years has played nothing but a D/A.

If you're doing other kinds of music -- whether it's hymns, Morris tunes, Swedish polskas, sailors' songs, ragtime, or whatever, -- then the D/A may have particular advantages for particular numbers. It might just fit some individual's repertoire and style better than a C/G or G/D.

I failed to mention that this is a Mini. The restorer, who is a recognized expert, has suggested size of the instrument and size of the reeds is the most obvious reason. Any other ideas?

Is it 30-button, or 20? In any case, the difference between C/G and D/A isn't enough to account for the smaller size. C/G instruments were also made in smaller sizes. Colin Dipper's County Clare model is under 6" across. I believe that Lachenal and Jeffries both advertised smaller-size models. So I think the size was mainly a matter of personal preference.