I Have To Tell Somebody...

Oh Joy!

My marcus arrived today!!!

I told my family that I had spent more than £1000 on a concertina. They gave me that "You are mad - you have too much money" stare. Well, maybe I have - and what a nice way to spend it! :lol:

I only have my Stagi for comparison, so I'm less than an expert. But what a difference!!! If You are new to the world of the concertina, if You are thinking about what concertina to buy, then go for the most expensive You can afford! Don't settle for less! I started out by buying a Stagi ( well, actually it's a Gremlin, but as far as I understand they are also Stagis). It's a concertina, yes, but now that I have tried the Marcus I have to say that it provides a much more enjoyable playing experience. When I play the Gremlin/Stagi I feel that I have to fight it. The bellows are hard and the buttons are slow (some more than others). With the Marcus I feel that I have an instrument that will play excellently if only I develop the skills to allow it to do so!

Well, guess how I'm going to spend the coming week-end!!! :lol:

I told my family that I had spent more than £1000 on a concertina. They gave me that "You are mad - you have too much money" stare.

I confess - I'm pretty careful about letting on to my family about my concertina expenses. I've had 3 concertinas in 5 years and currently have a treble Morse Albion and I'm in the process of ordering another concertina (a baritone).

It is a JOY to play a really good instrument and NOT worth the hassle of having a bad one! Congratulations!

Congratulations, Charlotte, and ENJOY! :lol: I tried Sam's at Arran and it was lovely (and a completely different system to mine too)

Looking forward to hearing you play at the SSI; you are going aren't you?

Jill

That's Sam's Marcus I might add!

Actually it was a Norman .... still a lovely instrument (though I've since sold it to finance a future acquisition ... :ph34r: ).

Samantha

Congratulations, Charlotte, and ENJOY! :lol: I tried Sam's at Arran and it was lovely (and a completely different system to mine too)

Looking forward to hearing you play at the SSI; you are going aren't you?

Jill

That's Sam's Marcus I might add!

Actually it was a Norman .... still a lovely instrument (though I've since sold it to finance a future acquisition ... :ph34r: ).

Samantha

See next posting - it's not a good day!

It was my Marcus you played on Arran, Jill.

I think they are brilliant beasts - I ordered mine in September 3 years ago and had it before that Christmas (by one week) AND I had to play it for the morris on the boxingday - only one tune but they insisted.

Enjoy yourself Charlotte, you've made a good choice. Is it C/G or D/G?

Have to work this weekend, but we're having trouble with a server, so while waiting for things to get fixed I can spend my time doing something sensible, like going to this site :)

Your Marcus sounds wonderful! I'm slowly saving up for a Marcus myself. Could you tell me how long it took from ordering to delivery? Did you choose wooden or metal ends? Happy squeezing!

I ordered mine from music room. They have some in stock so there was no waiting time. It's metal-ended. Music room says it has been produced for music room by Marcus, so I'm not sure what the difference (if any) there is between the model sold by music room and the models that are shown at Marcus site. I've just inquired about it. If you are interested, Nigel, I'll let you know when I get the answer. I hope you'll soon be able to buy yours...

It was my Marcus you played on Arran, Jill.

I think they are brilliant beasts - I ordered mine in September 3 years ago and had it before that Christmas (by one week) AND I had to play it for the morris on the boxingday - only one tune but they insisted.

Enjoy yourself Charlotte, you've made a good choice. Is it C/G or D/G?

It's a C/G. This tuning thing... Is it a matter of preference, or are there conditions when C/G or D/G is the better choice?

It's a C/G. This tuning thing... Is it a matter of preference, or are there conditions when C/G or D/G is the better choice?

One of the big questions that's regularly debated on the forum. There's almost as many reasons for playing one or the other as there are players. I'm firmly in the G/D camp, though I have C/Gs as well, mostly for song acompanment.

We'll be in Copenhagen on the night of the 18th of May, on our way to the SSI. I'll have my G/D with me. Perhaps we can compare notes, as it were.

Cheers,

Chris