The radio, John? Is that what we used to call the wireless?

And don't forget the somewhat elitist Third Programme. In our house, Dad hated it: Mum loved it! Can't recall much of the content, but I remember the rows disagreements :(

Ah, nostalgia indeed.....

There is no easy way to capture a Soundcloud stream for future listening - it can be done but it involves capturing the live stream.

Don.

Never had a problem downloading content with the (free) SoundCloud Downloader add-on under Firefox. The only drawback is that it is only available as 128kb .mp3

Blimey. We're in danger of having to rename Concertina.net as OldCodgersClub.net! I, too, remember the Home Service, Light Programme, Third Programme and pirate radio with fondness. I also appreciate internet radio where I can listen to folk programmes on Radio Scotland and Radio Ulster, which are rather better then the "folk" offering on Radio 2. Or on iPlayer if I've missed them while doing something more interesting. Without the wonders of modern technology we wouldn't be having this discussion!

... I found Instagram navigation awkward (it seems to want to drag me into LJ's social circle and I don't want to do that) ...

Don - this is an interesting perspective. I know fewer than a quarter of my followers personally, and they are a tiny fraction of my real social circle. The rest of my followers are spread across the globe from Korea to Canada. What we have in common is some interest, whether that's concertinas, traditional crafts or just nice photographs. I treat the conversations we have on Instagram just the same as these on C.net.

Cheers,

LJ

Soundcloud has been used by folks here but I find it problematic at times, sometimes it takes several attempts to get something to play and sometimes it streams badly. There is no easy way to capture a Soundcloud stream for future listening - it can be done but it involves capturing the live stream.

Is that a problem? I do have an external (hooked up via USB) sound card anyways for recording purposes, and redirecting the On-board sound to one of the inputs is pretty much a no brainer.

For you as a comp wiz it shouldn't be an issue, no?

I have visited Little John's Instagram feed but I found Instagram navigation awkward (it seems to want to drag me into LJ's social circle and I don't want to do that) and I did not like the way that videos automatically loop repeat themselves. Not too sure about the audio quality either, I suspect it has been down sampled but I have not really listened that closely.

Instangram drives me completly bonkers. Whenever John posts something, I'm really dying to see and hear it - but I haven't found a method yet to whether IG allows me to watch the videos or not.

Seriously, on the same computer with the same browser and everything else remaining untouched, the video will play at times but not at others.

Instangram drives me completly bonkers. Whenever John posts something, I'm really dying to see and hear it - but I haven't found a method yet to whether IG allows me to watch the videos or not.

Seriously, on the same computer with the same browser and everything else remaining untouched, the video will play at times but not at others.

Hi RAc, I've no idea why that's still happening. I watch videos on the Instagram website every day without any problems. You could try using a downloader instead:

Select and copy the address of the Instagram post (e.g. https://www.instagram.com/p/BeVrAsUlNKa/), then go to https://downloadgram.com/ and paste the address into the box on that page.

Click Download, then Download Video, and you should receive an MP4 file that you can play in Quicktime Player, VLC, Windows Media Player, etc. If the video file fails to download I would suspect something is wrong with your Internet connection, though I don't know why it's affecting I.G. but not Y.T.

Edit: because this forum condenses long addresses, to copy the Instagram address you'll need to right click on the link and select something like "Copy Link Address".

Edited by alex_holden

• 5 months later...
On 1/31/2018 at 7:54 AM, the closet concertinist said:

I think part of the appeal for me, as well, is the opportunity for others who are not concertinists to see and hear our music as well as have opinions on it and be able to get feedback from other artists or instrumentalists, etc. I guess I feel like this is a hidden little diamond in the rough that is closed off all to itself. I definitely understand why people would not agree with me and I’m not trying to say we change things and abandon old ways or anything, just reach into fresh areas.

late to the game myself re this thread, but it should be mentioned that sharing and discussing music of different types, styles and instruments via soundcloud can work a treat - I once used to get lots of feedback there (much more than in these forums tbh), however you then have to frequently post and comment, which is not an easy task with the ("smart") mobile phone as there is no chance for dropping sb a comment at all via the app.

best wishes - ?