Totm Challenge: Old Meets Néw

RAc

Ever since the user known as Little John pointed out the Blowzabella tune Shave The Monkey a few months ago, I became sort of obsessed with it. It'a a great piece of music and qualifies as a knuckle buster, and I'm far from mastering it.

I decided to pair it with a tune more than 170 years older, a version of Oyster Girl unearthed by Neil Brookes. I believe they work together well musically; not being a dancer, I can't judge how the set would do dance wise (comments welcome). The juxtaposition is quite intriguing, methinks.

Anyways, here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/rac-13/oyster-girl-1837-shave-the-monkey-2009

In this context, I thought that it would generally be fun to introduce attempts at pairing old with new tunes. Anyone else who has tried this kind of thing recently?

Thanks for listening, as usual!

In this context, I thought that it would generally be fun to introduce attempts at pairing old with new tunes. Anyone else who has tried this kind of thing recently?

Strangely enough, yes. Shave the Monkey was new to me when I pointed it out. At first I paired it with the traditional English jig The Mallard. For various reasons I dropped that pairing and I'm now following Shave the Monkey with the traditional Scottish jig Drummond Castle. I think it will work well, but I haven't yet mastered the latter tune.

Nice version of the Oyster Girl in your recording. I particularly likes the minor bit at the start of the B music.

LJ