Another Lachenal Data Point

Brian Swisher

Hello, all,

I have recently acquired a nice little 20b Lachenal Anglo, serial number109854. It has mahogany ends, stained to look like rosewood. The Lachenal trademark is stamped on the side of the right palm rest, and "STEEL REEDS" is stamped on the top of the same palm rest. The paper badge is still intact and reads, "BUTLER -- Manufacturer -- Haymarket -- London". From reading the very informative thread from last December on Lachenal manufacture, and doing sone ciphering of my own, I've come up with a date of manufacture of 1890ish. Does that sound about right?

Brian, a "data point" is really the opposite of what you are saying, it's a solid known date for the manufacture, or first sale, of an instrument, from a "primary source" such as a ledger entry or a receipt.

"Data points" are then of great value for establishing realistic and reasonably accurate dates for other instruments. Randy Merris (member "dowright") is the one collecting those, and other Lachenal serial number, information.

Stephen is right. A data point is usually from a receipt for a new Lachenal concertina. Many handwritten dates are found inside vintage Lachenals, but these dates were usually written well after the concertinas were made, typically at the time of repair/retuning. And care must be take to avoid assuming that receipts for used concertinas are receipts for new ones.

But here is a data point for a Lachenal made near the time of yours: No. 109790: 20 key, Wood Ends; Bone Buttons; Steel Reeds; 5-fold (now new 6-fold) bellows, purchased in 1890 by Fred Dawson at a cost of GBP3.5. Fred Dawson died in 1943 at the age of 73. This information was reported in 1943 by his son, Arthur Dawson.

So we date your No. 109854 as circa 1890.