'round Midnight By Thelonius Monk

Randy Stein

Hit Mart.

I'm puzzled. What key are you playing in if you start the Bourree II on top f sharp. Or have I got completely the wrong tune?

Les

I think Mart is refering to the 'B' part of the first Bouree... starting after the first repeated eight bars.... well that is the way I'm reading what he wrote.

I'm not seeing any great fingering problems with this one , unlike the trouble I had with the Bourree from the English keyboard suite in Eb (BWV 819).

Hi Les

Sorry to confuse you! It's a transcription by Frederik Hermann in G maj for violin and piano. You can find it at:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Cello_Suite_No.3_in_C_major,_BWV_1009_%28Bach,_Johann_Sebastian%29

Pick the violin part and you can download the pdf. Just added - You are exactly right, Geoff!

cheers

Mart

Edited by Loikroh

Hi Randy

It's great to hear you playing this number. It's been one of my favourites for years although I've only stated playing it recently. I'm hoping this posting works as it's the first one I've attempted. Here is a link to the "practice videos" on Dropbox. There's a Bach thing in here too. I put all the practice stuff in here so I can hear all the mistakes and bits that need sorting! I'll probably post these two pieces on Youtube when they're ready but thought you might like to hear my version of Round Midnight - I don't think there're too many of us playing it on the concertina! Here is the link - hope it works...... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t7iju5cdt3z1g3z/AAAv68Yb9tkPAi4vDtqDocd1a?dl=0

All the best

Mart

Man your playing is hot. Thank you for sharing this.

Part of the limitation of the tune is arranging it for self accompaniment. I like to work on chording within an arrangement and jazz allows for more inventive arrangements. Here is Summertime from a previous band I had. This allows me to be freer with the playing.

Nice work. Really like your style.

rss

Hi Mart and Geoff

Thanks, I should have thought of that. It certainly fits the concertina better in the Key of G. Also I think it presents well on the baritone.

Les

I'm sure it will present well on the Baritone!

I am playing these on a Baritone/Treble with a view to adding some harmony below the treble melody line... :unsure: :huh: ;)

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Hi Randy

Really pleased you liked my rendition. It's always nice to listen to very different takes on the same tune. It was good to hear your version of "Summertime" too - I haven't played that in ages.

My present project is working on "Blue Bossa" - very much based on the Dexter Gordon recording which you can see at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgwCddPksEM

I love these Charles Margarit postings because he even puts the score up too - very thoughtful - brilliant for both playing along and developing ones own phrasing.

I'll stick it on Soundcloud once I'm there!! (could be a while :D )

cheers

Mart

Dex was one of my favorite sax players. Saw him mutiple times at the Village Vangard when he returned to the states. On more than one occassion we drank togther. Big mistake on my part.

I played Blue Bossa with the trio and recently jammed with my friend Judy Minot at NESI. Great tune.

we should jam sometime.

rss

Edited by Randy Stein

Hi Randy - wow, drinking with Dex - would love to have met the guy - one of my favourites too.

He has been inspirational as far as my own jazz improvising is concerned. just love his phrasing

As far as a jam is concerned, it's not beyond reality - my daughter and her husband are posted to DC for two years starting 2015 so I will certainly be over for visits at some time - would certainly look forward to a squeeze!

cheers

Mart